It’s no secret that smart is the new pretty, so how about we start this year off with some more knowledge? Anyone can look good in designer duds, but it’s the girl with the knowing look that ends up the belle of the ball.
While many of us are busy stocking the refrigerator and planning out tomorrow’s menu, there are others out there who are plotting a different kind of game plan. That’s right I’m talking about you crazy kids who take part in a little something called Black Friday. While I would sooner die than try and take on the madness (check out 10 things I’d rather be doing), it’s a tradition for some and well, it’s good for the economy.
Good luck out there, kiddos. And jut remember, it’s all fun and games til someone loses an eye.
As women, we are known to be very social creatures. So, when the buzz word “social media” started popping up everywhere (and is even now considered a “career”), we thought to ourselves, “Psssh! We’ve been doing this for years.” While there are plenty of folks out there who consider themselves to be gurus, experts and mavens in the venue of Marketing/PR 2.0, most of them haven’t a clue as to what they’re talking about. So, if you’re looking to increase your social presence, it’s probably best not to leave it to the “experts” and start learning yourself! Social Media is constantly changing so you better keep up!
- I’d say the guy who really started this craze (or shall we call it obsession) with staying connected is Mr. Zuckerberg. He’s really changed the way people interact… and that’s kinda crazy because he dropped out of college. Which is probably a good thing ’cause student loan debt is out of control. Students took out over $100 BILLION in loans this year alone. [Gawker]
- Phew! Glad we sidestpepped that one, Zuck. Really dodged a bullet there. And speaking of Facebook, the number of friends you have on FB may directly link to your brain density. [Mashable]
- Hopefully none of those friends are the ones constantly demanding you to “LMS” (like my status). Well, cause that’s just tacky… and annoying.
- Oh, you thought that was a funny video? Well, now you can make your own thanks to the integration of WeVideo cloud based video editing platform into YouTube. Yes, you too could be the next Miles Jai. [TechCrunch]
- And you should probably look your best for your upcoming video shoot. With Bib + Tuck, you’ll soon be able to hit the “refresh” button on your closet whenever you need by swapping duds with like minded fashionphiles. [Vogue]
- Watch your pageviews soar with your new look! Google Analytics is making it even easier to for you to analyze your data with new visualization charts! [Mashable]
- If your friends could see you now! Oh wait, they can! LinkedIn’s new “Classmates” feature takes keeping in touch with old pals one step further. [TechCrunch]
- The most important thing with all of this crazy technology is to use it carefully and responsibly. It is crazy, scary, creepy what people can do with all the information you are feeding them. (Seriously- try this!!!)
- You don’t want this guy posting your pic on Twitter! [NY Post]
- Oh, look. A new social site popped up in the midst of my writing this post. Told you it’s tough to keep up. [SF Gate]
Now go fire up your Tumblr, Twitter, and Flickr. It’s time to get social… and while you’re at it, be sure to Tweet, FB, and YouTube with WhyDid.
“[Y]ou can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.” Steve Jobs
Waking up to another rainy morning, it’s almost as if Silicon Valley is crying over its loss. Whether you are an Apple user or not (who are you?), Steve Jobs is someone who has affected everyone’s life in some way, shape, or form. More than just pretty looking gadgets that make it easier for us to live our lives on the run and chat with our friends, his attitude towards life and innovation is what really captivated me and millions of others.
Sadly, it is unlikely that our generation will see another like Mr. Jobs in our lifetime. I don’t doubt that there are more out there like him though. It was Jobs’ ability to be unafraid to fail that made him truly unique. It doesn’t matter how smart you are or how many great ideas you have if you never put them out there and really go for your dream(s). I think we’ve all been frightened by failure and have given up on big dreams. Rather than doing what we want to do, we do what we think is the mature and responsible thing to do. I understand that, at times, that’s the necessary decision for survival, but that’s no reason to give up on your passion. Our generation has become lazy and scared. We’d rather be reality TV stars than scientists… and that’s just sad. Fame isn’t what changes the world. Making a quick buck isn’t either.
No one has a guaranteed amount of life on this planet. You don’t know what will happen in the next day, the next hour. Stop being afraid. Stop being lazy. It’s okay to fail. Sometimes that’s the only route to success.
“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. … Stay hungry. Stay foolish.” Steve Jobs
We all will die. Will you live?
I’ve always been a firm believer that no matter how beautiful you look in that new Kimberly Ovitz, if you open your mouth and have nothing more intelligent to talk about than which pro athlete one of the Kardashians is dating, then you’ve just wasted a lot of makeup and time in the mirror. So, to help you lovely ladies out, I’ve found some of the web’s hottest headlines that are totally chatter-worthy:
Even if your date turns out to be a dud, at least you know you were armed and prepared both mentally and physically.
Photo via PinstripeMag