Contrary to popular belief, my Instagram feed, and my checking account, one of my favorite things to do is stay home and be alone… with Smitty. Every once in a while I need some “me” time to refocus and reflect, to do all the work and mundane tasks- like bill paying and closet reorganizing that I’ve neglected and all but forgotten while out on the town with my fabulous friends. Now and again I need a detox— from myself. Even when I’m alone, I take pride in my appearance. I mean, there are more than several mirrors strewn about my humble abode. Even my antique dresser is reflective. The only person I’m hurting by looking like a hot homeless mess when home alone is myself. You see, I’m the type of gal who dabs on her favorite perfume before bed and let’s be clear, the only man sharing my bed is very hairy. I like to feel good for myself, so when Love+Grace was kind enough to send over some PJ’s in the prettiest shade of pale pink, I could hardly wait to schedule a date with myself. And that I did. Made from the softest cotton that drapes and clings in all the right places, these pajamas are both comfortable and cute. As I passed my full length mirror, prosecco in hand, I thought to myself, “Damn, it’s too bad I’m home all alone.”
pajamas: c/o Love+Grace, dog: Smitty, dog pajamas: custom (seriously)
This time of year, when the weather goes from pleasantly crisp to shockingly cold, it’s quite easy to want to just throw in the towel, err… cashmere blanket, and just stop caring about what you wear. It’s even quite likely that you’ve completely given up on putting yourself together and leaving the house at all. I’ve found that I now prefer a pleasant night in rather than a raucous night out. Not to mention, my razor blade refills have become fewer and fewer. Pretty soon Smitty is going to think I’m fair game. That said, there really is no reason to be a complete and utter hot mess. There’s gotta be a happy medium between comfy sweats and club slut… right?
As I sat having dinner with friends at Barbuto on Saturday night (that glass garage door makes for fantastic people watching), in addition to the gentleman in the grey knit cap who walked by over ten times and was clearly casing the joint (or my friends), we were astonished at the parade of Paul Frank printed flannel pajama pants. Come. On. Hello Kitty printed pants aren’t okay in Wal-Mart and they sure as heck aren’t welcome on the streets of the West Village. When designers sent pajama inspired looks down the runways, I doubt Spongebob was what they had in mind. I live in a neighborhood that is so trendy, I have to up my game when merely running to the corner deli. Sure, I’m just on a TP run, but the rest of you are gearing up for stylish dinner dates and tequila shots at Tortilla Flats. So, whether you’re staying in or heading out, pull yourselves together, girls.
Eberjey Gisele PJ Set, $115, Elle Macpherson Intimates Dunescape Stretch Satin Pajama Pants, $80, Juicy Couture Sleep Shirt, $98,Equipment Avery Brushed Silk Pajama Set, $470
Don’t let the bed bugs bite.
It can be very stressful trying to come up with a thoughtful and useful gift for your honey. So below I have outlined some Do’s and Don’ts of holiday shopping in order to keep you out of the dog house.
What she absolutely does NOT want:
- Don’t bother trying to buy her clothes. Unless you have (successfully) done this in the past, I would skip it. Plus, you don’t want to have the awkward moment of buying a size 8 when she’s really a size 4. Never buy her a sweater. This is what her Aunt Helen is for.
- Nix the gift certificates. I know it sounds good in theory and kind of a no fail option, but you are wrong. Gift certificates are completely thoughtless and lazy and trust me, she’ll recognize that. Put in the leg work and get her a real gift.
- Perfume is way too personal for you to be picking out for her. That’s something she should buy on her own. I also think it is kind of cheesy and trite.
- Lingerie is iffy. I personally love lingerie, but it is essentially a selfish gift, no? Save it for Valentine’s Day. If you do opt for lingerie, be sure that it’s La Perla or Myla and not Victoria’s Secret. This is no time to be stingy.
- Jewelry is tricky. There is only one surefire option in jewelry, diamonds. Unless you are very familiar with her style or willing to dish out the $$ for diamonds, I’d hold off. I have a personal horror story about jewelry on Christmas. Picture this: your boyfriend calls you from the Diamond District and tells you how he is the most amazing boyfriend in the world. You are now giddy with excitement (thinking you are finally getting those diamond studs). He shows up with Swarvoski crystals. And ugly ones at that.
- Any type of kitchen appliance. Enough said.
- Pajamas. Could you be any less sexy?
Some better options:
In all honesty, my favorite part of any gift is the card. Believe it or not, I do have a soft side. The thought that goes into your gift is far more meaningful than what you actually buy her. If she throws a tantrum or diva fit… maybe it’s time to re-evaluate…
Any of you ladies reading, email me your most horrific holiday gift stories and I will post the best ones! firstname.lastname@example.org