For as long as I can remember, rap music and fashion have gone hand in hand. Now, some of you may just be thinking about the obvious mentions of “Air Force Ones” or “Apple Bottom Jeans” but these sneaky little lyrical poets have expensive (and high end) taste. Some of the nods to top designers may fall on the average listener’s deaf ears– but they aren’t lost on me! How else do you think they get white girls to dance and squeal? Mention Prada!!
- T-Pain – Rap Song, “…Balenciaga bags cost a couple bucks (hot) is all shawty ever been, Blow a couple racks in Barney’s on that Phillip Lim.”
- Kanye West – Throw Some D’s, “Walking down Melrose spot where they sell clothes. That chick know she’s bad. Can tell by the Chloe bag. She ain’t no hoodrat. She ain’t gotta prove that. I peeped the McCartney’s. Stella got her groove back.”
- LL Cool J – Loungin’, “I heard about your man he like to lace you wit cream. Dolce Gabbana, Moschino, wit Donna jeans…”
- Fabolous – You Be Killin’ Em, “Louboutin shoes, she got too much pride. Her feet are killin’ her. I call it shoe-icide.”
- Notorious B.I.G. – Hypnotize, “I put hoes in NY onto DKNY. Miami, DC prefer Versace. All Philly hoes dough and Moschino. Every cutie wit a booty bought a Coogi.”
- Drake – Fancy, “Say, go Cinderella. Go Cinderella. Orgasm blush, lipstick, and concealer.”
- Lil Kim – No Time, “Yeah, I mama, Miss Ivana. Usually rock the Prada, sometimes Gabbana.”
- Kanye West ft. Nicki Minaj – Monster, “monster Giuseppe heel, that’s the monster shoe.”
- Jay-Z – Empire State of Mind, “Caught up in the in crowd. Now you’re in style. Anna Wintour gets cold. In Vogue with your skin out.”
- Clipse – When the Last Time, “When they say, “Last call” that don’t mean the night’s ova. That means it’s time for her to show ya how quick she can hop out those Gucci loafers…”
Who knew rappers have been reading up on their designers?