I try and practice an insane amount of self control. And for the most part, I remain cool as a cucumber, but every now and then I just want to scream at people, dropkick inanimate objects, and punch the hell out of a pillow. That is when it is truly necessary to have a playlist full of songs as angry as I am. (A punching bag never hurt either).
Conveniently, this playlist doubles as a fantastic workout playlist… and everyone knows that looking good is the best revenge.
P.S. I do not in any way, shape, or form, condone violence (except against pillows). There are far more clever ways to take out your frustrations.
Photo via Cory Pulliam
It’s no secret that smart is the new pretty, so how about we start this year off with some more knowledge? Anyone can look good in designer duds, but it’s the girl with the knowing look that ends up the belle of the ball.
For as long as I can remember, rap music and fashion have gone hand in hand. Now, some of you may just be thinking about the obvious mentions of “Air Force Ones” or “Apple Bottom Jeans” but these sneaky little lyrical poets have expensive (and high end) taste. Some of the nods to top designers may fall on the average listener’s deaf ears– but they aren’t lost on me! How else do you think they get white girls to dance and squeal? Mention Prada!!
- T-Pain – Rap Song, “…Balenciaga bags cost a couple bucks (hot) is all shawty ever been, Blow a couple racks in Barney’s on that Phillip Lim.”
- Kanye West – Throw Some D’s, “Walking down Melrose spot where they sell clothes. That chick know she’s bad. Can tell by the Chloe bag. She ain’t no hoodrat. She ain’t gotta prove that. I peeped the McCartney’s. Stella got her groove back.”
- LL Cool J – Loungin’, “I heard about your man he like to lace you wit cream. Dolce Gabbana, Moschino, wit Donna jeans…”
- Fabolous – You Be Killin’ Em, “Louboutin shoes, she got too much pride. Her feet are killin’ her. I call it shoe-icide.”
- Notorious B.I.G. – Hypnotize, “I put hoes in NY onto DKNY. Miami, DC prefer Versace. All Philly hoes dough and Moschino. Every cutie wit a booty bought a Coogi.”
- Drake – Fancy, “Say, go Cinderella. Go Cinderella. Orgasm blush, lipstick, and concealer.”
- Lil Kim – No Time, “Yeah, I mama, Miss Ivana. Usually rock the Prada, sometimes Gabbana.”
- Kanye West ft. Nicki Minaj – Monster, “monster Giuseppe heel, that’s the monster shoe.”
- Jay-Z – Empire State of Mind, “Caught up in the in crowd. Now you’re in style. Anna Wintour gets cold. In Vogue with your skin out.”
- Clipse – When the Last Time, “When they say, “Last call” that don’t mean the night’s ova. That means it’s time for her to show ya how quick she can hop out those Gucci loafers…”
Who knew rappers have been reading up on their designers?