While you’re updating your fall wardrobe and tucking away summer’s short shorts and bathing suits, be sure to check in with your makeup bag as well. This fall’s beauty trends are focused on fierce lashes, flawless skin, pops of color, perfectly lined lids, and metallic touches. With only adding a few secret weapons to your beauty arsenal, you’ll take on this season’s updated face with ease. We can get to the deep side parts, big bangs, and more braids for hair in an upcoming How To video. In the meantime, check out five of fall’s most fabulous beauty trends.
All That Glitters:
Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Metallic, Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour, NARS Dual Intensity Eyeshadow
Benefit Cosmetics Big Spender Lashes, Sephora Collection Bulls Eye Lash Applicator, Maybelline Volum’ Express Falsies Big Eye Mascara, Essence Volumizing Lash Powder
Lancome + Jason Wu Color Design Palette, RMS Beauty Cream Eye Polish, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Colour Pencil Essentials Set, Yves Saint Laurent Beauty Couture Palette Eyeshadow
Benefit They’re Real Push Up Liner, Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eye Liner Brush, Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner, Hourglass 1.5mm Mechanical Gel Eye Liner
Too Faced Absolutely Invisible Candlelight Powder, Givenchy Beauty Teint Couture Long Wearing Fluid Foundation, bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation with SPF 20, Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow
Women aren’t the only ones who have beauty routines as we can attest by the currently popurlar man buns (aka “muns”). Along with stealing our rubberbands from the backs of bathroom door handles, men have begun encroaching upon our conditioner, our face wash, and even our razors. When you share space with a man, you start to share everything and sometimes the lines become blurred– and not in a sexy Emily Ratajkowski kind of way. Most women allot a pretty penny and significant portion of their paychecks to special beauty products meant to preserve them and cure all their beauty woes. When your beau starts lathering up with your $60 ant-aging face wash, it can become difficult not to want to dunk him in the tub, but part of you is probably happy that he’s at least decided to shower today. Male grooming has become more socially acceptable and that can be seen by the wide range of products targeted specifically to the male species. There was a time when seeing a man in a nail salon was a rarity, but let’s be serious. Real men get manicures (and hopefully an occasional pedicure). I, personally, don’t want your gnarly feet shredding my 1200 thread count sheets. If you’ve come to the horrifying realization that your man has been using your prized eye cream to soften his calluses, it’s time to set him up with his very own collection of dude friendly grooming products.
1. Baxter of California Cream Pomade, 2. Anthony Let’s Talk Dirty Duo, 3. C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Hair & Body Wash, 4. MDSolarSciences Quick Dry Body Spray, 5. J. Crew Abingdon Travel Kit, 6. Aesop Moroccan Neroli Post Shaving Lotion, 7. Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant & Deodorant, 8. Czech & Speake Leather Bound Manicure Set, 9. D R Harris Tortoiseshell Boar Bristle Hair Brush, 10. The Art of Shaving Lexington Collection Razor & Cartridge
We’ve all heard of and possibly thrown around the term, “bedroom eyes.” This probably implies to most a smokey eye or a red lip (which you can learn how to do HERE and HERE). However, sometimes the sexiest way a woman can look is when she appears to have done nothing at all. Like many fashion trends, what women find sexy or stylish is totally unappealing to the opposite sex. There’s a reason I wear red lipstick on first dates (as documented here). But in the off chance that you are hoping to pucker up with Prince Charming, try going for the “no makeup” makeup look which can be achieved by using neutral shades, glowing bronzes, and soft peaches. And don’t forget that the first step to any sweet naked face is a steadfast skincare routine.
1. Dior Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder, 2. Dermalogica Exfoliating Face Brush, 3. Bliss Naked Body Butter, 4. NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Madere, 5. nails inc., The Perfect Nude, 6. Too Faced Lip Injection Color Bomb! Moisture Plumping Lip Tint in Never Enough Nude, 7. Smashbox Always Sharp Lip Liner in Nude Fair, 8. Hourglass Femme Nude Lip Stylo, 9. Leighton Denny Nail Polish in Mirage or Not, 10. Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette, 11. Tarte Cheeck Stain in Exposed
I think most women who actually take their physical fitness seriously can attest to the fact that one of our biggest eye rolling moments at the gym is upon spotting a perfectly made up, coiffed, push up sports bra clad babe texting in between turning pages of Cosmo on the elliptical. Speaking of which, I always cringe when women’s magazines suggest meeting men at the gym because I promise you the last thing I want is for a juiced up bro to approach me while running interval sprints on the treadmill. That’s a surefire way to get a dumbbell straight to the dome. Besides, I tend to be a bit of a sweaty mess and believe this is why women only gyms were invented. So how does one recover beautifully post workout?
Just like I mentioned about there not being some magic way to acquire abs of steel, there are, however, a few products that can certainly contribute to the cause:
- I love dry brushing before the shower or you could use the Skinesis Bodylift from Sarah Chapman to help with pesky cellulite.
- Tossing your hair up into a high ponytail or messy bun atop your head can actually cause quite a bit of damage as you move. Definitely opt for softer rubber bands sans metal closures to avoid breakage and if you can, wear a braid (French, fishtail, rope- take your pick).
- After your sweat session, you may only have time to rinse and head back to the office or hopefully happy hour. If you’re like me and a full on blow out isn’t even in the realm of possibility, then meet your new best friend, dry shampoo. The trick is finding one that won’t leave you looking like Martha Washington with a powdered wig.
- If you like running outside when humidity is less than that of a tropical rainforest, then sunscreen is a must. For so long, I didn’t bother. Partially because I’d had a few sour experiences of blindness once sweat swept my SPF right into my eyes, but basically out of sheer laziness. Guess who doesn’t want knees that look like a vintage leather handbag?
- The biggest favor you can do for your skin pre-workout is wiping your makeup off. Your skin needs to be able to breath in order for toxins (that bottle of Sauvignon Blanc you shared last night) to be released. Stash makeup wipes in your gym bag for a quick cleanse before you feel the burn.
- I can’t lie. My feet are gnarly from miles logged on the treadmill and on the road. Be sure to take some time to soak those tired toes and give them a little TLC so you won’t be ashamed to bare them in open toe shoes or plop them up on the chaise lounge poolside.
1. Fresh Sugar Deodorant Antiperspirant, 2. Alterna Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo, 3. Sephora Collection Tropicolor Ribbon Hair Ties, 4. MED e TATE DERMAdoctor, 5. This Works Perfect Legs Skin Miracle, 6. Samudra Coco Palms Pouch, 7. Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes, 8. Sarah Chapman Skinesis Bodylift, 9. Bodyism’s Clean and Lean Serenity Shake, 10. Margaret Dabbs Hydrating Foot Soak, 11. Hampton Sun SPF 35 Continuous Mist Sunscreen
You know how I like a good theme party? Well, call me a hipster, but I really only like them when they’re ironic. The thought of green on St. Patrick’s Day makes me want to punch a leprechaun and please don’t think for one split second you’ll catch me this weekend wearing star spangled swimwear. But before you call me a wet blanket, I understand the importance of being patriotic. I know of the need for all-American nail art and the importance of playing along. Better than flaunting a flag outright? Add some red, white, and blue to your makeup bag… making you a true American beauty.
1. Deborah Lippmann Nail Polish in Video Killed the Radio Star, 2. NARS Lip Gloss in Eternal Red, 3. Butter London Nail Lacquer in Come to Bed Red, 4. Makeup Forever Diamond Powder, 5. Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Tart, 6. Formula X Transformers Top Coats, 7. Dior Addict It-Lash Mascara, 8. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar, 9. Blinc Eyeliner Pencil, 10. Ardency Inn Modster Smooth Ride Supercharged Eyeliner