The maxi dress is nothing new, but that’s okay. It’s still a closet and transitional season must have. A maxi is great for running errands in a simple pair of flat sandals and tote or can be dressed up with heels and sparkly jewels. Maxi dresses are a win for all parties involved. It’s like getting to wear your pajamas all day long and no one can really say anything cause you look so stunning and you never run the risk of exposing your “Britney.” Striped, solid, floral, tribal… you really can’t go wrong. Check out how these chic starlets styled their maxis and re-create the look yourself for that oh-so-effortless maxed out look.
1. Ella Moss Printed Maxi Dress, $188, 2. Ettika Clustered Gold Black Leather Bracelet, $75, 3. bebe Noah Platform Sandals, $84.99
1. Cosabella Anouck Maxi Dress, $200, 2. House of Harlow 1960 Jordana Sunglasses, $125, 3. DKNY Textured Leather Shoulder Bag, $375, 4. Aldo Brendle Simple Flat Sandals, $56.40
1. Ella Moss Stained Glass Maxi Dress, $248, 2. Ray-Ban Large New Wayfarer, $125, 3. Blank NYC Vegan Leather Jacket, $74.99, 4. Mossimo Supply Co. Ona Ballet Flats, $14.99
For those who don’t know me, it may seem strange that my favorite colors are black and white (since black and white aren’t technically considered “colors”). Much like I try to live my life, I also like my palette to be very black and white. I do love color very much, but there is something so crisp, so clean, and so refreshing about bold black and white patterns. Whether it be stripes, dots, florals, geometric shapes, or just something totally abstract, I can’t get enough of these opposite shades. From my clothing, to our home decor, black and white rule my world. The best part of using black and white as your base? The ability to punch it up with just about any color as an accent.
I don’t want to tell Smitty, but he falls under this color scheme and it’s quite possible why I love him even more. His soft white fluffy fur set off by those big black eyes and little black dot of a nose make him absolutely perfect. He is my best accessory afterall. Want to incorporate some black and white into your life? Here are several options of how to do just that:
1. Karen Millen Graphic Stripe Coat, $550, 2. Brian Atwood Aura Polka Dot Calf Hair Sandals, $1,370, 3. Lanvin iPad Cover, $135, 4. Ray-Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses, $160, 5. Alice + Olivia High Striped High Waisted Pants, $242, 6. Equipment Star Print Washed Silk Crepe de Chine Shirt, $250, 7. Alexander Wang Prisma Biker Purse, $325, 8. Charlotte Olympia Striped Canvas Platform, $950, 9. Sandro Ciseau Two Tone Silk Blouse, $285
It sorta seems like life went ahead and decided to cram as much as possible into the last few months of the year. Sort of like it forgot and then was like, “Oh crap! We gotta do all this.” So, that keeps ladies like you and me pretty busy. In between all of the end of year festivities, we still need to find time to run those never ending errands. They sure don’t take a holiday, do they? This is where that whole “fashion vs function” argument comes into play. Is it ever possible to be both? These three celebrities prove that it is, in fact, feasible to be both polished and practical while running errands.
1. CeCe Cloud Cashmere Chunky Cowl Neck Sweater, $189, 2. 7 for All Mankind Roxanne in California Wash, $158, 3. Esprit Resin Sunglasses, $35, 4. Nine West Turnstile Crossbody Bag, $19.95, 5. Lauren by Ralph Lauren Abria Leopard Flats, $49.99
1. American Apparel El Salvador Lace Tee, $38, 2. Forever 21 Live in Progress Destroyed Skinnies, $27.80, 3. Forever 21 Urban Drop Earrings, $4.80, 4. Hobo International Tivoli Bag, $238, 5. Charles by Charles David Avenger Booties, $69.95
1. Ann Taylor Whisper Blouse, $98, 2. Paige Premium Denim Casual Pants, $108, 3. All Saints Elva Cardigan, $175, 4. Kate Spade Irving Place Harlow, $176.99, 5. Report Whitfield Flat, $89
Photo via The Well Written Woman
So maybe you’re not the “skin”tight leather dress kinda girl. That’s okay, cause you can still incorporate leather into your life in a more casual, less Catwoman way. From Paris to LA, celebrities have been seen sporting their second skins all over town. While the look is undoubtedly sexy, it can be expensive. That’s why there are some great faux leather (or “vegan” as we’re calling it now- tomato, tomato) options out there. This is one time when it’s okay to fake the funk.
1. Rachel Zoe Bianca Sequin Top, $275, 2. Top Shop Faux Leather Skinny Trousers, $66, 3. MICHAEL Michael Kors Sloan Oversized Clutch, $248, 4. Blu Bijoux Gold Tear Drop Multi Strand Earrings, $46, 5. La Fenice Eden Suede Platform Booties, $175
1. J. Crew Burnout Linen T-Shirt, $35, 2. Express (Minus the) Leather Seamed Mini Skirt, $59.90, 3. Forever21 Oval Sunglasses, $5.80, 4. Top Shop Mixed Fabric Chain Bag, $56, 5. Ash Hidden Platform Leather Pump, $195
1. Vince Hi Lo Sweater, $159.99, 2. Karl Lagerfeld for Impulse Skinny Faux Leather Pants, $99, 3. Cara Leather and Metal Cuff, $31.90, 4. Kelsi Dagger Teya Studded Platform Pumps, $149
P.S. Might I point out that both pairs of “leather” pants on here are not leggings. Please do not go strutting around town in pleather leggings without a top long enough to cover your v-dot.
A piece that all women would be wise to incorporate into their wardrobe is a feminine button down blouse. I tend to be a little “bottom” heavy – aka lots of pants and bottoms and not a top to go with ‘em. A beautiful blouse can be very versatile depending on how you style it. From a casual outing (Rachel Bilson) to a very important meeting (Duchess Kate) a blouse can be worn for almost any and all occasions. Once you come to terms with the fact that titty tops are no longer appropriate, you too will be embracing the ladylike blouse.
1. Equipment Vintage Washed Blouse, $196, 2.Genetic Denim Corbin Short, $132, 3.Sam Edelman Wilma Suede Wedge Bootie, $150, 4. Ray-Ban Rounded Wayfarer Sunglasses, $103
1. Lovers & Friends Printed Boyfriend Blouse, $106, 2. Bullhead Black Vintage Flare Bright Eye Jeans, $49.50, 3. Steve Madden Westii Platform Wedge Sandals, $99.99, 4. Calvin Klein Leather Tote, $148
1. Equipment Brett Colorblock Tuxedo Blouse, $208, 2. Milly Black Button Front Skirt, $365, 3. Jimmy Choo Black Patent Leather Agnes Pump, $396