Once you’ve procured all of this fall’s must have fashion trends, you’re going to need the shoes to accessorize with. One of my greatest struggles in life besides fitted sheets and the mental battle between being rail thin or indulging in gnocchi, is putting together the perfect outfit only to realize I do not have the perfect shoes to complete it. This has led to lots of late arrivals, pissed off friends, and missed appointments. Pretty sure this complaint would fall under the hashtag of “first world problems.” In any case, this fall you are going to want to round out your wardrobe with boyish brogues, combat boots, boots that go beyond the knee, statement booties in addition to basic black, and a pair of sneakers that thank heaven almighty do not include the word “wedge.” Below find my picks for fall’s best footwear.
1. Ash Soviet Lace Up Flat Booties, 2. Church’s Angelina Polished Leather Ankle Boots, 3. Rag & Bone Cozen Boots, 4. Markus Lupfer Embellished Ribbed Knit and Leather Ankle Boots, 5. Maison Martin Margiela Leather Combat Boots
I Kneed You:
1. Stuart Weitzman Fifo Stretch Boots, 2. Chloé Textured Leather Over the Knee Boots, 3. Kurt Geiger London Rowland Over the Knee Boots, 4. Joie Daymar Over the Knee Boots, 5. Sam Edelman Jenkins Over the Knee Boot
Sweet Shoes, Brogue:
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Hacienda Haircalf Oxfords, 2. Matt Bernson Thames Oxfords, 3. Finds +L’F Shoes Gipsy Ilga Gliter Finished Leather Brogues, 4. Schutz Nikola Chain Trim Oxfords, 5. Robert Clergerie Irvina Leather Platform Brogues
Shake Up Your Bootie:
1. Narciso Rodriguez Sarah Leather Suede and Watersnake Ankle Boots, 2. Joie Lina Haircalf Booties, 3. Laurence Dacade Pete Studded Suede Ankle Boots, 4. Sergio Rossi Faux Pearl Embellished Suede Ankle Boots, 5. Club Monaco Autumn Booties
1. Isabel Marant Étoile Bart Leather Sneakers, 2. Superga 2750 Boucle Sneakers, 3. Adidas x Opening Ceremony Stan Smith Finger Print Sneakers, 4. Vans Metallic Leather Sneakers, 5. Saint Laurent Court Classic Leather Sneakers
You know you’re getting old when you start saying things like, “They don’t make ‘em like they used to.” Well, from time to time I wax poetic about “classic” TV and some of the shows I grew up with. Yes, I love The Nanny, Full House, and Who’s the Boss?, but let us not forget the great Family Matters starring the obnoxiously lovable, Steve Urkel. Sure, sure he spent the majority of his time chasing around Laura Winslow and in hot pursuit of cheese, but perhaps we sold this geek a bit short. No, I don’t mean his alter ego, Stefan. I’m talking about his studious style that could very well be translated into something quite cool for modern day.
1. Cutler and Gross D-Frame Acetate Optical Glasses, $470, 2. J. Crew Holden Plaid Cotton Blend Shirt, $78, 3. Steven Banx Two Tone Oxfords, $129, 4. Forever 21 Hooded Varsity Cardigan, $22.80, 5. Forever 21 Suspenders, $8.90, 6. Rag & Bone Dash Slouchy Skinny Jeans, $198,
See? suddenly Steve is looking a little less geek and a bit more chic. And if I told you I hadn’t sung late night karaoke somewhere in Koreatown with Urkel himself, that’d be a lie.
If all else fails, Halloween is just around the corner. Did I do that?
Summer may very well be on its way out, but that hasn’t stopped a few stylish celebrities from shielding themselves from the last bits of sun with their favorite headwear. Whether they’re trying to be inconspicuous (yeah, right) or hide a bad hair day (dirty hairy), they all look quite chic from morning til midnight in everything from fedoras to a standard straw hat.
1. Mod Cloth Fedora-ble Hat, $17.99, 2. Rachel Zoe Devon Pintuck Dress, $450, 3. Alexander Wang Textured Leather Fold Over Clutch, $545, 4. Splendid Sanford Oxfords, $98
1. Juicy Couture Two Toned Cropped Fedora, $68, 2. Splendid Florence Striped Cotton Blend Top, $68, 3. Current/Elliot The Gam Shorts, $117.60, 4. Alexander Wang Distressed Leather Ankle Boots, $625
1. Brixton Louella Hat, $40, 2. Cosabella Peacock Camisole, $121, 3. Velvet Bambi Native Pants, $108, 4. Matt Bernson Jack Strappy Flat Sandals, $72.50
Hats off to you, ladies!
A couple of weekends ago while down in LA we went on a hunt for some of the remaining graffiti covered walls. I don’t mean like your random spraypaint tag. I wanted big colorful murals reminiscent of Paula Abdul’s Opposites Attract (um, hello MC Skat!). Much of Los Angeles’ “donated” artwork has been cleaned up by the city, but there is a little spot in Hollywood that is so boldly decorated, that you really can’t miss it.
For an afternoon adventure, I put on a pair of my (current) favorite skinny cropped 7’s, a sheer T-shirt and a pair of oxfords- which, to me, are the alternative to an ultra classic and somewhat girly ballet flat. I accessorized with my gold go to jewelry and was comfortable all day. Just another example that art is all around us… so long as you’re looking.
1. T by Alexander Wang Pocket T, $75, 2. 7 for All Mankind Skinny Second Skin Leggings with Multi Zippers, $109, 3. Alex and Ani Places We Love NYC Skyline Bangle, $38, 4. Michael Kors Large Gold Runway Watch, $250, 5. Steve Madden H-Troser Oxford, $59.95
It ain’t fiction, just a natural fact.
Ever have one of those days where you just don’t want to get out of bed? You’d rather just stay in your jammies and spend the day watching garbage daytime TV and taking all your meals in bed? Oh, that’s everyday? Yeah, me too. Sadly, mama’s gotta pay the bills… which, of course, would require one to actually pry herself from those 1200 thread count sheets and take part in normal human behavior and social activities. Oh well… doesn’t mean you can’t be comfortable. As a matter of fact, I’d like to encourage you to wear your nightgown from your bedroom right on downtown.
Slip a soft sweater over your silky nightie. Accessorize with chunky gold accessories, a pop of bright eye makeup (so you don’t still look like you’re sleeping), and work appropriate oxfords. While it may not be the day you dreamt of, at least you will look dreamy.
1. Anthropologie Mirabelle Chemise, $89.60, 2. Report Lance Oxford Platforms, $66.90, 3. Frenchi Off-Shoulder Oversived Sweater, $58, 4. Kenneth Cole Silver Iridescent Beaded Bracelet, $35, 5. Mango TOUCH Asymmetric Earrings, $34.90