Ugly sweater party season is upon us. I am fortunate enough to have wonderful friends who know better than to invite me to such a terrifying event. They also know a lot of other things, like how to throw great parties. One of the most gracious gifts friends can give us during the holidays is opening up their homes (whether a massive mansion or teeny studio) to host a festive get together. In a city like New York, friends fast become second families and there’s a reason things like “Friendsgiving” exist. Something my mother taught me from the time I was invited to slumber parties was to never arrive empty handed. I diligently practice this form of social etiquette to this day and always arrive bearing gifts, whether they be basic bottles of wine or a bags full of glowsticks. I never arrive unannounced or empty handed and to ensure that you will be invited to next year’s fete, I suggest you do the same (and avoid using your dinner napkin as a headwrap). Below are my picks for gifts to thank your generous hosts for having you this holiday season.
Baccarat Dom Perignon Flutes, $240, C. Wonder Pop Fizz Cocktail Shaker, $38, Alexandra von Furstenberg Fearless Coasters, $125, Lia Bottlestopper, $64, Georg Jensen Wine & Bar Gift Set, $195, Match Lucido Pitcher, $185, Gift Boutique Piedmont Slate Cheese Board, $99, Jonathan Adler Blanc Candle, $78, Kim Seybert Paillette Wine Decanter, $177, Bombki Little New York Set of Five Glass Baubles, $85
On November 1st, the official hangover of Halloween, I peered out my window to see that the weather was just as miserable as my headache. Grey skies, drizzling rain, cold, gusty wind, and an adorable dog who needed to empty his bladder standing on my chest and blinking down at me with his big brown eyes. You haven’t experienced selfless love until you’ve had to take your dog for a walk on a cold Saturday morning. I warned him that he was going to be sorely disappointed when his paws were wet upon hitting the pavement, but he insisted. Afterall, he’s a dog and though it’s debatable, he doesn’t speak English. Having nearly been blown away by the blustery wind and cursing my flimsy umbrella, we made it safely back inside where I decided to stay… for the rest of the weekend.
Though some tempting offers were thrown out, none were alluring enough to coax me from my cozy apartment. That’s when it hit me. Nesting season has begun and the brief magic of fall has come crashing down as fast as the fallen leaves. Plans will begin to dwindle until we all become hibernating animals slumbering until spring, so you may as well feather your nest and get comfortable.
LAFCO House & Home Champagne Scented Candle, C. Wonder Buffalo Check Tea for One, Barefoot Dreams In the Wild Throw, Jonathan Adler Marseilles Coasters
I normally carry a bag so large it’s a wonder I haven’t exacerbated my adolescent scoliosis. I mean, one never knows when one may need a notebook, business card, energy bar, or rape whistle (one must always carry a rape whistle). On evenings out, especially in the northeast when the weather turns to slippery slush and we are relegated to bundling ourselves in massive coats of wool, fur, leather, and cashmere to merely tolerate the bone chilling cold in hopes of drowning our sorrows with overpriced cocktails, space which is already at a premium in a city like New York becomes exiguous. Sure there are coat checks and clever cubbies cut into the backs of banquettes, but do you really wanna cram your Céline into a dark cavern alongside some chick’s Canal Street knockoff in the off chance that yours will mysteriously go “missing”? Just like when the meathead at the bar asks if he can buy you a lemon drop, the answer is, “No.” Instead of carrying your everyday bag that could double as a carry-on (and on occasion has), opt for the handheld version commonly called a clutch. Just be sure to hold onto it rather than leaving it in a puddle of condensation on the table credit cards et al.
1. Charlotte Olympia Gold Scent Clutch, 2. Saint Laurent Letters Metallic Leather Clutch, 3. Marni Jewel Embellished Clutch, 4. Marc by Marc Jacobs Ravenheart Metallic Leather Clutch, 5. Kotur Margo Animal Print Minaudiere, 6. Claire Vivier Flat Printed Leather Clutch, 7. Serpui Marie Klimt I Clutch, 8. Jimmy Choo The Candy Lip Print Acrylic Clutch, 9. Givenchy Bambi Clutch, 10. Sondra Roberts Scattered Bead Box Clutch, 11. Nina Beaded Heart Box Clutch, 12. ZAC Zac Posen Claudette Scale-Embossed Tassel Clutch, 13. B-Low The Belt Kenzy Clutch, 14. Santi Floral Sequin Clutch, 15. Mango Crystal and Bead Box Clutch, 16. Jonathan Adler Electra Bond Clutch
Traditionally, I’ve divided up my gift guides by price point, but I decided to shake things up this year by organizing by personality. Now, there is no way on Earth anyone could possibly classify all women into five categories- unless that person was looking to face several million pissed off estrogen fueled females. However, I’ve chosen five pretty broad categories that should be fairly helpful when shopping for your friends, sisters, mothers, and significant others. Whether she loves all things shiny or her fingers can’t be pried from her smartphone, there’s something here for just about any woman. And since I’ve taken all of the grunt work out of your holiday shopping (you’re welcome), all you’ve got to do is figure out what kind of gal you’re shopping for. (If you can’t do that, I can’t be held accountable- but a helpful hint? We’ve all probably got a little bit of each one inside of us).
1. Cashmere Travel Cushion and Eyemask Set, 2. The New York Times 36 Hours: 150 Weekends in the USA and Canada, 3. Lanvin Set of Two Rubber Luggage Tags, 4. Global Chalkboard Map, 5. Skyroll Wrinkle Free Luggage Carrier, 6.Everlane Reverse-Denim Weekender
1. Wildfox Gatsby Summer Night Zip Hoodie, 2. Zuzu Flame Tray & Glass Set, 3. Chelsea Market Cookbook, 4. Current/Elliot The Perfect Sweatpants, 5. Reiko Kaneko Drip Tease Mug Set, 6. Candy Stripe Woven Throw
The Girly Girl
1. J. Crew Jeweled Cuff, 2. Jonathan Adler Unicorn Salt & Pepper Shakers, 3. Princess Decanter, 4. Amethyst Stone Jewelry Box, 5. Saint Laurent Metallic Leather Continental Wallet, 6. Skin Hooded Alpaca Blend Robe
The Fitness Queen
1. Nike Studio Wrap Pack, 2. MICHI Luna Leggings, 3. Everlast Boxing Glove, 4. Nike FuelBand SE in Rose Gold, 5. Wake Up Workout Cropped Top, 6. T by Alexander Wang Rainbow Cotton Terry Shorts
1. Jawbone JAMBOX Portable Wireless Speaker, 2. Jonathan Adler On the Go Charger, 3. Jordan Carlyle Deco Drip iPhone 5/5s Case, 4.
Bop Basics Cashmere Texting Gloves, 5. Moschino Bear Headphones, 6. Marc by Marc Jacobs Techno Lynne Faux Patent Leather Laptop Case
Get used to hearing, “thank you.”
You’ve packed your weekender, polished your fingers and toes and gotten that dreaded Brazilian (you have, haven’t you?) Get thyself to a waxer, woman. The next hurdle you’ll face over the holiday weekend is preparing the perfectly equipped beach bag. There’s nothing worse than trotting all the way down to the beach, finding the perfect spot and then realizing you forgot your sunscreen. That’s a valuable fifteen minutes of Vitamin D and boyscouting that you’ll be missing while fetching your forgotten goods. Below I’ve created the First Aid Kit of beach bags so you can spend more time playing beach blanket bingo with that babe on the chaise next to you and less time retrieving your lip balm.
1. Mar Y Sol Caracas Basket Tote, 2. Yves Saint Laurent Oversized Round Sunglasses, 3. Henri Bendel Wet Bikini Bag, 4. Jonathan Adler Stepped Diamonds Earbuds, 5. Miracle Skin Transformer Lip Rewind Advanced Peptide Lip Treatment SPF 20, 6. Murad Waterproof Sunblock SPF 30, 7. Henri Bendel Under the Sun Towel with Strap, 8. Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Argan Hair Mist