On the second day of October, we also find ourselves on the second day of the government shutdown. I can’t take full credit, but I do hold myself slightly accountable as I haven’t been keeping up with keeping you up to date. Therefore, I’m reinstating “Smart Is the New Pretty” effective immediately. Heaven knows it doesn’t matter how great you look if you can’t keep up an intelligent conversation and it would appear that our country is all kinds of out of whack.
Do me a favor and don’t shut down your brain just because our politicians have decided to shut it down.
Being bombarded with news about celebrities breaking up and being rushed to rehab on a daily basis, it’s time we looked for some news that might make us smile rather than snooze. It’s a rough world out there… for a celebrity.
- Welp, seems I’m not alone in my love of all things neon. [Nylon]
- You could probably sport something bright to stand out at the newly re-opened 40/40 Club. Oh wait… [Huffington Post]
- Hmph… well, there’s always that documentary about cassettes. That’d be fun. [TechCrunch]
- BeachMint (mother company of JewelMint, StyleMint, ShoeMint, and BeautyMint) just keeps on growing with more “Mints” to come! [TechCrunch]
- Not a Mint fan? ShopSavvy is a pretty amazing new way to comparison shop while on the go by scanning barcodes. [TechCrunch]
- Pretty soon your car may be very sensitive. So sensitive it will respond to your very touch. [Business Insider]
- Speaking of touching, Victoria’s Secret’s new “Designer Collection” is sure to make your Valentine squeal with delight. [Fashionista]
- Did you ever think you’d squeal with delight over an aardvark? Today’s the day. [Huffington Post]
- No, no. Aardvarks aren’t endangered species, but these guys are. [Huffington Post]
- Know who else isn’t endangered? These six new breeds introduced into the Westminster Kennel Club [Huffington Post]
- Hell, might as well throw in a cat video while I’m at it. [Gawker]
How did we get here?
photo via A Yankee’s Southern Exposure
It’s no secret that smart is the new pretty, so how about we start this year off with some more knowledge? Anyone can look good in designer duds, but it’s the girl with the knowing look that ends up the belle of the ball.
Oh yes, it’s time to start the countdown to the holiday season. Along with all the shopping, soiree’ing, and snowmen building (okay, maybe not)- there’s also probably some holiday smooching in the plans.
- Groupon has acquired OpenCal which will help you to “schedule” all of your impending appointments. [TechCrunch]
- But perhaps you are only interested in keeping track of the 25th of December. Here are five free apps that will help you do just that. [Mashable]
- Facebook is counting down too… but they are counting the most popular status trends of 2011. [Mashable]
- Speaking of status updates. I hear you’re headed out on a first date. Having trouble trying to figure out what to wear? The new PickWhichPic app allows you to call your friends in for reinforcement (and is free until Christmas).
- Realize that you hate everything in your closet? The Poshmark app will help you clean out your closet and make a little cash. [Refinery 29]
- Hopefully your date is in advertising… cause you may want to avoid dating investment bankers. Okay, not all of them. Just this one. [Gawker]
- You may, however, want to start dating your lawyer. Free legal pads, anyone? [Gawker]
- And in case your date does go well, here are ten recipes for the most perfect pancakes. [HuffingtonPost]
- Then you can write a poem about how much your enjoyed your date on Opuss, you creep. [TechCrunch]
Photo via The Art of Manliness (who happens to have a great holiday date list)
Oh the million dollar question… What do you want to be when you grow up? Now, I know, many of us are already college graduates with several years of job experience under our belts, but that doesn’t mean we are living out our greatest career fantasies. So, really, what do you want to be when you grow up?
Hey, these bills aren’t gonna pay themselves.