I knew I’d eventually be reminded what the perks of living on the West Coast were. This week was that time. With temperatures in the pre-teens and a beast of a flu running rampant, I started to reassess my living situation (don’t worry, it’ll only last a week or so– it’s the flu talking). I’ve been radio silent for the last couple of days because I’ve basically only made it out of bed to let my dog out and make another NyQuil cocktail. So, even though influenza has become the “trendy excuse” for a brush off, I’m not really blowing you off, I’m actually sick.
- Having the flu and being stuck in bed with nothing to do.
- People bailing last minute on your birthday.
- Below freezing temperatures. When I can feel the bones in my face freezing, it’s too cold. Looks like Kanye found a cure.
- Public urination. I’m not talking about bums or campfires. I’m talking about the young lady in a sequin skirt who couldn’t hold it til she got home.
- People who think your dreams are crazy.
- People who are crazy enough to believe in their dreams.
- Having the people who matter celebrate your birthday with you.
- An apple cutter/corer/wedger. Seriously, never an excuse to not eat an apple a day with one of these guys (mine’s a turtle).
- Having a dog for a live-in feet warmer (especially when you’re sick).
- Having the flu and not needing to make any excuses for not getting out of bed.
How many calories do you think coughing burns?
Okay, so I’m no Martha Stewart, but I do know how to keep a happy and functional home. I also do enjoy baking and cooking (baking more than cooking). There is also something to be said about a woman who can cook and look good while she does so. I know we think it’s hilarious that Carrie Bradshaw used her oven to store sweaters, but today’s “modern girl” can do it all… and that includes whipping up a gourmet meal.
You don’t need every fancy appliance under the sun to make your kitchen run more smoothly, but there are a few gadgets that may very well change your life (or at least make you more efficient when it comes to the kitchen).
- Crock Pot 5 Quart Stainless Steel Slow Cooker, $41 – A crock pot is the lazy girl’s dream appliance. Basically you could throw just about anything in in the morning and come home to a delicious meal. It does the work for you and do you know how many amazing recipes there are?
- As Seen On TV, Eggies, $9.99 – Okay, I must admit I fell for something I saw on TV. Hey, at least it’s not Pajama Jeans. These will blow your mind if you enjoy hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, or egg salad.
- KitchenAid Apple Wedger, $10.29 – I love apples, but I hate biting into them (creeps me out) and I find cutting them can be cumbersome (Okay, fine. I can’t be trusted with sharp objects). This little guy slices and apple right up in one swift move. No more excuses when it comes to making yourself a healthy snack.
- Wusthof Kitchen Shears, $19.99 – My mom scolded me for years for not having a “proper” pair of kitchen shears. Theses babies can do everything from cut meat to trim flower stems.
- Rabbit by Metrokane Zippity Rabbit Wine Opener, $79.99 – Alright, alright… the kitchen doesn’t have to be all business. This wine opener is the best thing going. When you have company, there’s nothing worse than fighting with a rogue cork. The rabbit (not that rabbit) will have you in and out in no time. [insert dirty joke here].
A functional kitchen is a happy kitchen.