Being someone who typically favors skin grazing frocks and tops only slightly larger than sportsbras, it may come as quite a surprise that one of my favorite parts of cooler weather has absolutely nothing to do with pumpkin spice anything and a whole lot to do with slipping into a cozy, cuddly, oftentimes oversized sweater dress.
This is not the first time I’ve dedicated a Friday Frocks to sweater dressing and I can promise you, as it’s only mid-September, it won’t be the last. Knit dresses are the perfect way to transition from chilly fall days to frosty winter evenings. When the thermostat starts to head below 60, wear your knitwear with over the knee boots and toss on a leather jacket. As the biting temperatures of winter arrive, layer your frock over patterned tights or a pair of complementary knit leggings (another really big trend for fall). I may be the only one, but all I want to do is hug myself when wearing a soft cashmere sweater and fortunately, I’m quite flexible, so it’s entirely doable. But seriously, if you see me in the street wearing a sweater dress, hugs are welcome.
1. Just Female Link Roll Neck Sweater Dress, 2. Red Valentino Long Sleeve Sweater Dress, 3. Matthew Williamson Merino Wool Mini Dress, 4. Rachel Pally Sleeveless Turtleneck Dress, 5. BB Dakota Dakota Collective Lara Sweater Dress, 6. Vince Sweater Dress, 7. T by Alexander Wang Mohair Tunic Dress, 8. Haute Hippie Slouchy Collar Dress, 9. Eternal Sunshine Creations Georgia Mini Dress, 10. Bella Freud Three Way Color Block Wool Mini Dress
Image originally published here. Photo courtesy of Living The Dream Blog
Everyone knows I love lingerie, a good cocktail, and my maltipoo, Smitty. Something else I love more than the average juice fasting female is swimwear. Some girls are all about bags, some about shoes and while I love both, a bikini is always certain to catch my attention as well as my paycheck. I even consider myself a bit of a bathing suit expert. I mean, I spent two years having the pleasure of filling Bendel’s with barely there beachwear.
I love bathing suits so much there are times when I wonder why I don’t just move to an island and live in a bikini whilst sipping on fresh coconuts, but then I get bored even imagining it and continue on in my concrete jungle.
Sure, this took me the greater portion of a day to pull together, but because I love swimwear so much, I enjoyed every moment of it. Whether you love a one piece or the teeniest of itsy bitsy bikinis, I’ve rounded up a suit in almost all of this spring’s biggest trends that should tickle your fancy or at least your fanny. So, here it is. The most elaborate swimsuit guide you’ll see and ever need to get you beach bum and poolside ready.
- Peekaboo Panels: Indah Slam Mesh Patches Top and Bottoms, T by Alexander Wang Mesh Paneled Swimsuit, UNIF Relic Suit, Lee + Lani The Rio one Piece, Norma Kamali Spliced Bandeau One Piece,
- Dirty Pop: Beach Riot Ay Papi Freemont Bikini Top and Colada Bikini Bottoms, Cynthia Rowley Underwire Bikini, Salinas Ocean Print Racerback Swimsuit, Giejo Abstract Plaid Bra Top and Mixed Boy Briefs
- Global Graphics: Zimmerman Instinct Paneled One Piece, Cecilia Prado Optico Triangle Top and Tie Side Bottoms, Mara Hoffman Laser Cut Bandeau Top and Bottoms, Kushcush Bali Bikini Top and Bikini Bottoms, Tori Praver Cabazon Top and Bottoms
- Team Spirit: Minimale Animale Calamity Jane Bikini, Lisa Marie Fernandez The Lisa Marie Two Tone Bikini, Lisa Marie Fernandez The Farrah Neoprene Swimsuit, T by Alexander Wang Mesh Combo Halter Top and Bottoms
- Black (and White) To Basics: Clover Canyon Torqued Walls Bikini Top and Bikini Bottoms, Zinke Emmi Reversible Bikini Top and Reversible Bottoms, Beach Bunny Laser Cut Top and Skimpy Bottom, Rachel Pally Gia Maillot, Jason Wu Bandeau Bikini
- Fresh Blooms: Red Carter Floriculture Peplum One Piece, Nanette Lepore Fleur de la Mer Bikini Top and Bottoms, Minimale Animale Work It Bikini, Miu Miu Floral Print Ruched Bikini, Dolce & Gabban Zaraga Blossom Print Swimsuit, Shimmi Stevie Embroidered Wrap Bikini
- On the Fringe: Indah Sports Illustrated Marley Crochet One Piece, L*Space Skinnie Minnie Bikini Top and Blake Bikini Bottoms, Indah Havana Bikini Top and Santiago Bikini Bottoms, Indah Patron Fringe Bandeau, Luli FamaCosta Buena Fringe Plunge Bikini Top
- Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop Croptops: Maaji Crop Top and Bikini Bottoms, Beach Riot Coral Gables Bandeau Top and Bikini Bottoms, Mara Hoffman Naga Cropped Bikini Top and Tie Side Bottom, Thayer Ruffle Bralette Bikini Top, Ella Moss Belle Floral Ruffle Bandeau Top and Tunnel Bottoms, Wildfox Couture Tankini Top and Reve Crisscross Brazilian Bottoms
- Perfect Pastels: Nookie Beach Hermosas Bandeau Bikini, Zimmerman Verano Layered Frill Bikini, MIKOH Swimwear Banyans String Racerback Top and Lanai Multi String Bottoms, Zinke Weekender One Piece
- Heavy Metal: Zimmerman Scout High Triangle String Bikini, Vix Swimwear Solid Copper Triangle Top and Bikini Bottoms, Lisa Marie Fernandez Genevieve Bikini, Agent Provocateur Zonia Sequined Triangle Top and Bikini Briefs, Zimmerman Scout Balcony One Piece
Traditionally, I’ve divided up my gift guides by price point, but I decided to shake things up this year by organizing by personality. Now, there is no way on Earth anyone could possibly classify all women into five categories- unless that person was looking to face several million pissed off estrogen fueled females. However, I’ve chosen five pretty broad categories that should be fairly helpful when shopping for your friends, sisters, mothers, and significant others. Whether she loves all things shiny or her fingers can’t be pried from her smartphone, there’s something here for just about any woman. And since I’ve taken all of the grunt work out of your holiday shopping (you’re welcome), all you’ve got to do is figure out what kind of gal you’re shopping for. (If you can’t do that, I can’t be held accountable- but a helpful hint? We’ve all probably got a little bit of each one inside of us).
1. Cashmere Travel Cushion and Eyemask Set, 2. The New York Times 36 Hours: 150 Weekends in the USA and Canada, 3. Lanvin Set of Two Rubber Luggage Tags, 4. Global Chalkboard Map, 5. Skyroll Wrinkle Free Luggage Carrier, 6.Everlane Reverse-Denim Weekender
1. Wildfox Gatsby Summer Night Zip Hoodie, 2. Zuzu Flame Tray & Glass Set, 3. Chelsea Market Cookbook, 4. Current/Elliot The Perfect Sweatpants, 5. Reiko Kaneko Drip Tease Mug Set, 6. Candy Stripe Woven Throw
The Girly Girl
1. J. Crew Jeweled Cuff, 2. Jonathan Adler Unicorn Salt & Pepper Shakers, 3. Princess Decanter, 4. Amethyst Stone Jewelry Box, 5. Saint Laurent Metallic Leather Continental Wallet, 6. Skin Hooded Alpaca Blend Robe
The Fitness Queen
1. Nike Studio Wrap Pack, 2. MICHI Luna Leggings, 3. Everlast Boxing Glove, 4. Nike FuelBand SE in Rose Gold, 5. Wake Up Workout Cropped Top, 6. T by Alexander Wang Rainbow Cotton Terry Shorts
1. Jawbone JAMBOX Portable Wireless Speaker, 2. Jonathan Adler On the Go Charger, 3. Jordan Carlyle Deco Drip iPhone 5/5s Case, 4.
Bop Basics Cashmere Texting Gloves, 5. Moschino Bear Headphones, 6. Marc by Marc Jacobs Techno Lynne Faux Patent Leather Laptop Case
Get used to hearing, “thank you.”
The only item more clutch to one’s closet than the perfect fall boots is the perfect fall coat. Growing up in Florida, I was unfamiliar with inclement winter weather. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening during my first northeastern snow storm. This was when I took a crash course in dressing for the elements. Never again would I be chilled to the bone without the appropriate outerwear. Someone wise once told me that if you have a nice coat, nice bag, and nice shoes during the winter, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re wearing sweats underneath– no one will even see them. I’m not encouraging that, but I certainly wouldn’t shame you for running to Starbucks in your jammies so long as you cover them accordingly. While you should have one go to coat to cover all occasions, you’re going to need a couple more to fill in the wardrobe gaps. Below are some essential styles that will keep you warm and looking cool.
- The trench: Rachel Zoe London Belted Trench, Burberry Brit Short Leather Trimmed Cotton Twill Trench Coat, Club Monaco Isabella Trench
- The leather jacket: T by Alexander Wang Reversible Leather and Nylon Bomber Jacket, Mackage Veruca Leather Jacket, Club Monaco Lee Moto Jacket
- The cape: Max Studio Single Breasted Cape, DSQUARED2 Wool Cape, Anthropologie Chevron Sweet Poncho
- The varsity jacket: Lulu & Co Wool Blend and Leather Varsity Jacket, Club Monaco Gabi Varsity Jacket, Current/Elliot The Varsity Jacket
- The camel coat: Club Monaco Ashley Quilted Sleeve Coat, 3.1 Phillip Lim Split Sides Pea Coat, Joseph Man Wool and Cashmere Coat
- The statement coat: camilla and marc Silentium Wool Coat, BB Dakota Hazel Leopard Coat, alice + olivia Rhonda High Neck Coat
- The weekend jacket: Canada Goose Trillium Parka, Tibi Scuba and Padded Twill Coat, Vince Fur Trimmed Hooded Anorak
- The classic coat: GAP Moto Coat, Dawn Levy Harper Leather Trim Wool Wrap Coat, French Connection Leather Trim Asymmetrical Coat
Don’t be left out in the cold.
The quote above from Karl Lagerfeld has been passed around the internet faster than an Anthony Weiner dick pic. And while I first snickered when I saw it, I couldn’t help but wonder what Karl might think about one of this fall’s must have items: the sweatshirt.
I can just picture him fanning himself with leather glove clad hand whilst flipping through September’s issues. But put down the paper bag, big K. These aren’t the Champion sweatshirts of gym class past. Nor are they the Juicy Couture velour tracksuits that I was certain were the fashion apocalypse. This season’s reincarnations feature more structured silhouettes, lace insets, and little details that will have you sweating them, not sweating in them.
When worn with the skinniest of skinny jeans, leather leggings, or a pleated skirt rather than their fleeced counterparts, the sweatshirt is more fabulous than frumpy.
1. T by Alexander Wang Crew Neck Sweatshirt, 2. Helmut Lang Leather and Wool Sweatshirt, 3. By Chance Jenna Oversized Sweatshirt, 4. A.P.C. Atelier de Production et Création, 5. Chaser Nat Geo Logo Sweatshirt, 6. Kenzo Striped Lining Cotton Sweatshirt, 7. Wildfox Basic Baggy Beach Sweatshirt, 8.Theory Janelo Long Sweatshirt, 9. Funktional Discovery Sweatshirt