The only item more clutch to one’s closet than the perfect fall boots is the perfect fall coat. Growing up in Florida, I was unfamiliar with inclement winter weather. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening during my first northeastern snow storm. This was when I took a crash course in dressing for the elements. Never again would I be chilled to the bone without the appropriate outerwear. Someone wise once told me that if you have a nice coat, nice bag, and nice shoes during the winter, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re wearing sweats underneath– no one will even see them. I’m not encouraging that, but I certainly wouldn’t shame you for running to Starbucks in your jammies so long as you cover them accordingly. While you should have one go to coat to cover all occasions, you’re going to need a couple more to fill in the wardrobe gaps. Below are some essential styles that will keep you warm and looking cool.
- The trench: Rachel Zoe London Belted Trench, Burberry Brit Short Leather Trimmed Cotton Twill Trench Coat, Club Monaco Isabella Trench
- The leather jacket: T by Alexander Wang Reversible Leather and Nylon Bomber Jacket, Mackage Veruca Leather Jacket, Club Monaco Lee Moto Jacket
- The cape: Max Studio Single Breasted Cape, DSQUARED2 Wool Cape, Anthropologie Chevron Sweet Poncho
- The varsity jacket: Lulu & Co Wool Blend and Leather Varsity Jacket, Club Monaco Gabi Varsity Jacket, Current/Elliot The Varsity Jacket
- The camel coat: Club Monaco Ashley Quilted Sleeve Coat, 3.1 Phillip Lim Split Sides Pea Coat, Joseph Man Wool and Cashmere Coat
- The statement coat: camilla and marc Silentium Wool Coat, BB Dakota Hazel Leopard Coat, alice + olivia Rhonda High Neck Coat
- The weekend jacket: Canada Goose Trillium Parka, Tibi Scuba and Padded Twill Coat, Vince Fur Trimmed Hooded Anorak
- The classic coat: GAP Moto Coat, Dawn Levy Harper Leather Trim Wool Wrap Coat, French Connection Leather Trim Asymmetrical Coat
Don’t be left out in the cold.