Summer weekends are meant for bikinis, barbecues, and making new friends. Last weekend while we all chipped in to chop vegetables, pureé rotting mangoes, and grill up scallops (in our bikinis), I smiled to myself thinking how much fun I was having and how thankful I was to be surrounded by a group of lovely humans who were not only unafraid to get their hands dirty, but were also smart, funny, and interesting. (I was also thankful we actually made it safely out east after our non-teen driver texted away). Ugh. Who wants to be the pouty girl in the corner who doesn’t dare lift a finger so as to not chip her manicure? Not you. So, if you aren’t that awesome in the kitchen, volunteer to craft up a clever cocktail (have you heard of the “Phrostie”?) and be sure to have something worthwhile to talk about.
- First and foremost, remember that while you’re having fun in the sun, all is not well with the world- starting with terror group ISIS. [NY Mag]
- Okay, let’s lighten the mood. Lilo wants to laser off her signature freckles. Sounds reasonable. [The Superficial]
- Maybe she’s gunning for the role of Wonder Woman. They’re doing a remake… [Elle]
- If you’re looking for a job, you could always be a border babysitter. They’re hiring. [NY Post]
- The real estate in Manhattan (and Brooklyn) is very expensive afterall. [NY Observer]
- At least you can now afford a Larry Clark original photo though. [NY Mag]
- He does it for the kids– much like this graffiti artist who got himself busted via Instagram. [NY Post]
- In the Hamptons? You may very well run into Eric Cantor. [Page Six]
- Well, good thing you didn’t bother booking that trip to Brazil because the bus drivers have revolted. [AP]
- And perhaps, if you strike up a conversation with the cute guy across the table, he can take you out for the new “It” burger back in the city. [NY Post]
- Maybe he’ll use OpenTable to secure your seating. They’re having the best week ever. [AP]
- But I guess none of this will matter if we don’t survive the Friday the 13th solar flares. [NY Post]
- Not even the best sunscreens on the market can protect you from that. [StyleList]
So, enjoy the weekend, but always be an asset- not a liability. Otherwise, this might be your last invitation to dinner.