There she is. The romper’s big sister, the jumpsuit. Let it be known, I love a good romper, but sometimes, a girl needs a little variety. That’s where the jumpsuit comes in. While the romper is considered to be quite casual, a jumpsuit can easily be accessorized into a striking evening option.
Some good things about jumpsuits:
- It’s one stop dressing! Your top and your pants are connected!
- Wearing a jumpsuit is kind of like wearing adult onesie pajamas.
- It’s no coincidence that when I try to type jumpsuit, I keep typing “humpsuit.”
Some less than good things about jumpsuits:
- Probably not going to attract too many fellas with your new jumpsuit induced FUPA.
- Awkward moments in the bathroom.
Ready to “jump” on this trend? I like to go all 80’s when accessorizing this trend. Deep side part, pearl accessories, and shimmery makeup. Depending on the type of jumpsuit, you could do both heels or flats (though I might point out you already look like a jerk- probably best to stick with heels). Remember to allot extra time for the restroom and you’re good to go.
1. Sunahara El Sol Jumpsuit, $125, 2. Free People Floral Printed Romper, $118, 3. Theory Garvie Cotton and Modal Jumpsuit, $215, 4. Halston Heritage Cold Shoulder Jumpsuit, $125, 5. Alice + Olivia Dawn Pleated Top Jumpsuit, $440, 6. Lucy in Disguise The Roxy Jumpsuit, $305, 7. Rachel Roy 24 Hour Jumpsuit, $129, 8. Karina Grimaldi Basic Jumper, $239
Yes, it is that time of year again. So many parties, so little to wear. Well, like my gay counterpart, I love any good reason to dress up. This includes holiday parties and the cherry on top, New Year’s Eve. Many of us tend to take the easy route and slap on the same old boring black cocktail dress. Really? I know you switched up the accessories, but if I see that DVF on you one more time, I’m going to projectile vomit (in your direction). Below are some fun ways to spice up the typical cocktail attire.
- Don’t wear a dress- Why shouldn’t you wear sequin leggings with a pretty top? (*and because I have to- LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS). Substitute dressy fabrics (satin, sequins, velvet, brocade) in the form of shorts, pants, or skirts.
Romeo and Juliet Couture Sequin Legging, $65
Julianne Maria Satin Tap Shorts, AU$149
- Wear the pants- Why should guys be the only ones in a tux? Make your own female friendly version or opt for a cute romper like this.
Karina Grimaldi Tuxedo Romper, $218
- Into the night- I’d be lying if I told you I’ve never worn a nightgown out as a dress. I’ve actually done it several times (including NYE ’08). Just make sure it’s not too revealing and actually looks like a dress. (Excessive use of nipples at holiday parties is typically frowned upon- unless you’re crashing a party at the Playboy Mansion).
Julianne Samantha Satin Chemise, AU$129
- Jump on it- Instead of a dress, try an ultra chic (ultra comfy) jumpsuit. It may make trips to the ladies room more complicated, but you’ll look cute (and that’s what matters).
Madison Marcus Glossy Jumpsuit, $435
- Color yourself bad- Stop being a wallflower and dare to wear something other than black. Pick a festive holiday jewel tone in chiffon or stretch charmeuse.
Ella Moss Nora Chiffon Dress, $198
David Meister Fitted Satin Dress, $315
Party on, dudes.