Yes, it is that time of year again. So many parties, so little to wear. Well, like my gay counterpart, I love any good reason to dress up. This includes holiday parties and the cherry on top, New Year’s Eve. Many of us tend to take the easy route and slap on the same old boring black cocktail dress. Really? I know you switched up the accessories, but if I see that DVF on you one more time, I’m going to projectile vomit (in your direction). Below are some fun ways to spice up the typical cocktail attire.
- Don’t wear a dress- Why shouldn’t you wear sequin leggings with a pretty top? (*and because I have to- LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS). Substitute dressy fabrics (satin, sequins, velvet, brocade) in the form of shorts, pants, or skirts.
- Wear the pants- Why should guys be the only ones in a tux? Make your own female friendly version or opt for a cute romper like this.
- Into the night- I’d be lying if I told you I’ve never worn a nightgown out as a dress. I’ve actually done it several times (including NYE ’08). Just make sure it’s not too revealing and actually looks like a dress. (Excessive use of nipples at holiday parties is typically frowned upon- unless you’re crashing a party at the Playboy Mansion).
- Jump on it- Instead of a dress, try an ultra chic (ultra comfy) jumpsuit. It may make trips to the ladies room more complicated, but you’ll look cute (and that’s what matters).
- Color yourself bad- Stop being a wallflower and dare to wear something other than black. Pick a festive holiday jewel tone in chiffon or stretch charmeuse.
Party on, dudes.