One of the fastest ways to get dressed and stay on trend this holiday season is in a festive plaid frock. Whether, knit, flannel, or flowing tunic, there are several ways to get yourself checked out in plaid. Try wearing with tights and boots or under a tough leather jacket.
1. Free People Swing Me Baby Tunic, 2. re: named Plaid Peep Dress, 3. Marc by Marc Jacobs Pleated Printed Crepe Mini Dress, 4. MSGM Cable Sleeve Plaid Dress, 5. Isabel Marant Ilaria Oversized Plaid Cotton Flannel Dress, 6.BB Dakota Suzett Dress, 7. Chalk Field Plaid Dress, 8. Equipment Owen After Dark Plaid Dress, 9. Coach Printed Silk Crepe de Chine Mini Dress, 10. Torn by Ronny Kobo Morgan Dress
Move over Blair Waldorf, this fall preppy plaid and tailored blazers are having a moment lasting longer than your reign as prom queen. But this isn’t a buttoned up and uptight renaissance. Think of the girls in school who skipped class, spent lunch smoking in the hidden back parking lot, and unabashedly flirted with the cute English teacher. Okay, I didn’t do any of those things in school, but I did manage to find each and every loophole in the dress code. I was reprimanded more than once for having rolled my skirt or wearing shoes that weren’t deemed appropriate. Many feel that a school uniform stunts a child’s ability to express him or herself, but I contest that belief as it takes a lot more creativity to own the look. Plus, basically already knowing what you’re going to wear every morning gives you much more time to spend straightening your hair. The only downside was that I didn’t wear thong underwear on a daily basis until I graduated as our ancient stairwells were a peeping Tom’s dream realized.
Can we take a moment and relish in the irony that my highschool had a “best dressed” superlative?
For fall, be at the head of the class by pairing an updated plaid or pleated skirt with an oversized blazer or varsity jacket and don’t forget to finish it off with a pair of absolutely inappropriate shoes. See you in detention.
(In case you are wondering about these illustrious photos, the one on the left is from either my sophomore or junior year of school- clearly when I discovered bleach and the one on the right is my first day of ninth grade. And yes, those are Doc Martens).
1. A.P.C. Burnou Zippe Coat, 2. SMYTHE Three Button Schoolboy Blazer, 3. Roseanna Tommy Sherpa Lined Jacket, 4. J. Crew Schoolboy Blazer, 5. Opening Ceremony Tristan Wool Classic OC Varsity Jacket, 6. Sea Two Pleat Skirt, 7. Marissa Webb Paige Gerrit Plaid Skirt, 8. GETTING BACK TO SQUARE ONE Plaid Miniskirt, 9. BB Dakota Corvin Pleated Skirt, 10. JOA Checked Pencil Skirt, 11. Manolo Blahnik Rorita Oxfords, 12. Walter Steiger Lug Sole Patent Leather Loafers, 13. Studio Pollini Loafers, 14. J. Crew Kiltie Monk Strap Loafers, 15. Zimmermann Tie Up Ballerina Flats
As much as I like contradictions and mixing things that have absolutely no business swinging from the same monkey bars on the playground, I also love a good pair. Separates aren’t reserved only for suiting anymore and with the surge in popularity of crop tops (thank you, fashion gods), designers have capitalized on one of this season’s biggest trends: tops with shorter silhouettes worn with long line skirts and shorts.
Not all separates may be office appropriate, but these sets sure do add an unexpected take on cocktail attire (little black what?). And when you mix and match these separates with some closet essentials, you’ve tripled your look. That’s my kind of retail math. A crop top can easily be converted to casual by pairing it with your favorite jeans and heels or give a full skirt a Saturday brunch vibe while wearing it with a white t-shirt and sneakers. (Remember my experiment in dressing down a sequin crop top?).
1.Endless Rose Cropped Sleeveless Shell, Endless Rose A Line Skirt, 2. For Love & Lemons Sporty Knit Crop Top, For Love & Lemons Sporty Knit Skirt, 3. Nicholas Bonded Silk Crop Top, Nicholas Bonded Silk Zip Pencil Skirt, 4. Tibi Cropped Top, Tibi Pleat Skirt, 5. Robert Rodriguez Chambray Crop Top, Robert Rodriguez Chambray Track Shorts, 6. BB Dakota Seraphina Crop Top, BB Dakota Jaz High Waisted Skirt, 7. T by Alexander Wang Classic Jersey T-Shirt, 8. Frame Denim Le Skinny de Jeanne Mid Rise Jeans, 9. Superga Lace Sneakers, 10.Carvela Kurt Geiger Girl Strappy Sandals
Tomorrow marks the first official day of spring, however, we’re not quite out of the woods when it comes to outerwear. While we are left with only a couple more months where a jacket may still be needed, we can swap out the mundane black and grey wool for some lighter weight wares in pops of spring colors from melon to mint, printed to perforated. Take your pick.
1. Yigal Azrouel Eyelet Moto Jacket, 2. Preen by Thornton Bregrazzi Stockton Parka, 3. Barbara Bui Moto Leather Jacket, 4. Golden Bear Sportwear Linen Varsity Jacket, 5. Helmut Lang Python Detail Cropped Jacket, 6. BB Dakota Izzy Jacket, 7. Dagmar Florence Reversible Crepe Bomber Jacket, 8. endless rose Pop Moto Jacket, 9. Karl Lagerfeld Sienna Tweed and Faux Leather Blazer, 10. Clover Canyon Palm Springs Perforated Jacket
The only item more clutch to one’s closet than the perfect fall boots is the perfect fall coat. Growing up in Florida, I was unfamiliar with inclement winter weather. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening during my first northeastern snow storm. This was when I took a crash course in dressing for the elements. Never again would I be chilled to the bone without the appropriate outerwear. Someone wise once told me that if you have a nice coat, nice bag, and nice shoes during the winter, it doesn’t really matter whether you’re wearing sweats underneath– no one will even see them. I’m not encouraging that, but I certainly wouldn’t shame you for running to Starbucks in your jammies so long as you cover them accordingly. While you should have one go to coat to cover all occasions, you’re going to need a couple more to fill in the wardrobe gaps. Below are some essential styles that will keep you warm and looking cool.
- The trench: Rachel Zoe London Belted Trench, Burberry Brit Short Leather Trimmed Cotton Twill Trench Coat, Club Monaco Isabella Trench
- The leather jacket: T by Alexander Wang Reversible Leather and Nylon Bomber Jacket, Mackage Veruca Leather Jacket, Club Monaco Lee Moto Jacket
- The cape: Max Studio Single Breasted Cape, DSQUARED2 Wool Cape, Anthropologie Chevron Sweet Poncho
- The varsity jacket: Lulu & Co Wool Blend and Leather Varsity Jacket, Club Monaco Gabi Varsity Jacket, Current/Elliot The Varsity Jacket
- The camel coat: Club Monaco Ashley Quilted Sleeve Coat, 3.1 Phillip Lim Split Sides Pea Coat, Joseph Man Wool and Cashmere Coat
- The statement coat: camilla and marc Silentium Wool Coat, BB Dakota Hazel Leopard Coat, alice + olivia Rhonda High Neck Coat
- The weekend jacket: Canada Goose Trillium Parka, Tibi Scuba and Padded Twill Coat, Vince Fur Trimmed Hooded Anorak
- The classic coat: GAP Moto Coat, Dawn Levy Harper Leather Trim Wool Wrap Coat, French Connection Leather Trim Asymmetrical Coat
Don’t be left out in the cold.