I get that everyone is itching for spring to show up. And fast. However, it seems that some of you have forgotten that little grade school ditty, “April showers bring May flowers.” Ah, yes, we have an entire month more of moody weather before the clouds part and the birds chirp. Seeing as I spent the last 5 years in New York City, I know a thing or two about navigating Mother Nature’s temperamental tendencies. Having a few simple things in your arsenal can help take a rainy day from miserable to manageable.
- Rain repellent coat: It’s tricky to find a coat that is 1. warm, 2. cute, 3. water resistant, but I think I’ve found the answer here, Burberry Zip Front Field Jacket with Detachable Hood, $695
- Scarf: You don’t necessarily need a scarf, but I like one to keep any stray rain drops from making themselves at home inside my coat. Also, in seriously inclement weather, it can double as a guard for your tediously blown out tresses, Love Quotes Hand Knotted Tassel Scarf, $88
- Rainboots: I’ve mentioned before that I worked in offices full of girls in wellies. However, at times, the rain is only here for a short while. Then you’re stuck all day looking like a jerk in giant rubber boots. I love these because they actually double as pretty cute combat boots, Hunter Bixen Rainboots, $150
- Rain repellent tote: Your bag will get wet. It just will. No use drenching your Balenciaga. Swap out your everyday bag for a waterproof tote to keep it and its contents safe from the storm, Matt and Nat Zocalo Tote, $175
- Sturdy and portable umbrella: Emphasis on sturdy. I have had way too many dinky umbrellas blow inside out on me to trust a $5 ‘brella off the street. At the same time, I have no interest in toting around a walking stick size umbrella either, Windpro Auto Umbrella, $24.85
- Anti Frizz product: The cherry on top with bad weather is the havoc it wreaks on our follicles. Might as well protect your hair from the humidity ahead of time, Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel, $22
Come again another day!
Photo via Guardian