Did you know that the average American woman is 162.9 pounds and wears a size 14? I ain’t lyin, sister! Many of our lovelyWhydid readers are stressing themselves to be a size 2, and I want you to just stop it right now! Because I’m here with helpful tips to keep you curvaceous cuties looking great year round. And to all of my vivacious, voluptuous, vixens, who aren’t necessarily a size “shrimp”, this one’s for you!
- Buy the right FIT not the right SIZE: From my years of assisting at the Diane Von Furstenburg sample sale, I’ve seen too many ladies buy an 8 because that’s “their size”, but they end up looking like a sausage stuffed in casings and should actually be wearing a 12. The number on the label is really there as a point of reference. Use it as a guideline, and bring “your size”, a size up and a size down into the fitting room.
- Undergarments are ESSENTIAL: Make sure that your bras and undies are the correct size and right fit for your frame. Because no matter how great your dress may be, if we see bunching panties or a bulging bra, the effect is ruined. Now I know we’ve all heard about Spanx (which I adore) but Intimacy, Livi Rae, and Maidenform are also brands that specialize in flattering a fuller figure. Yes, yes, replacing your ill-fit unmentionables may cost you a bit, but a professional bra fitting is scott-free, and trust me, the end result will be priceless.
- Play up your assets: If you’ve got big, beautiful chi chi’s, show ’em off! A Deep V-neck Tee will do the trick, or perhaps a scooped neck blouse will give “the girls” the undivided attention they deserve. If you love your legs and have killer calves, then give ’em some breathing room! A skirt that hits above the knee will give your legs length and make you appear taller. Instead of focusing on “what to hide”, think in the positive and make an effort to draw attention to your prettiest parts.
- When in doubt, wear heels: I know, I know, they’re a pain in the neck (literally) but high heel shoes and boots can really take you from a 2 to a 10. They elongate the leg, force you to straighten up your posture, and make the boys go wild. Pair them with an Empire Waist or an A-Line dress, and you’re ready to paint the town red!
- Last, but certainly not least, SMILE!: I’ve seen many a “gorgeous girl” be completely ignored in social settings, because the puss on her face looks like she smells poo. No way, Jose! Turn that frown upside down and smile, laugh, and make conversation with the people nearby. When you smile, you’ll naturally radiate confidence, which like moths to a flame, will draw eyes on you, Ms. Thang. Believe me when I say, a pretty smile will get your further than any designer duds ever will.