Let’s play a little game of word association, shall we? When I say, “denim vest” what’s the first thing that pops into your pretty little head? I bet it was a mullet… namely in the form of Billy Ray Cyrus (you know, Miley’s dad). But forget hoe downs and achey breaky hearts, cause the denim vest is one of this summer’s hot ticket items. Just like all good things and some ex-boyfriends, denim vests have made a comebeack and here are three cool (and slightly unexpected) ways to wear one.
Dressed Down Date Night:
1. MINKPINK Wonderland Mini Dress, 2. Mossimo Supply Co. Cropped Denim Vest, 3. Forever 21 Neon Lucite Trimmed Clutch, 4. Calvin Klein Vivian High Heel Sandals
1. ABS Ombre Dip Dyed Denim Vest, 2. Joie Layana Silk Shorts, 3. DosMares Jade Halter Bikini, 4. Yosi Samra Flip Flops
Gal About Town:
1. Levi’s Trucker Studded Denim Vest, 2. MOTHER The Looker Skinny Jeans, 3. Truly Madly Deeply Tri Blend Slouchy Pocket Tank, 4. Diane von Furstenberg Anette Suede Pumps
Don’t break my heart, buy a vest.
As previously stated, I’m a big fan of “classic” (um, is the 90’s now classic?) television. One of my favorites is none other than The Nanny starring nasal voiced Fran Drescher. While on the show she is portrayed as a tacky Jewish girl from Queens, if you look at Fran’s wardrobe, she’s really a trendsetter. Don’t believe me? Let’s just take a gander at the spring trends she’s sporting in the photos above:
- Crop top. Check.
- Florals. Check.
- Animal Print. Triple check.
- Stripes. Check.
- Colorblocking. Check.
- Flatforms. Ugh… Check.
Not so tacky now, is she? A funny site I came across while doing my reconnaissance work for this post called, Should Be On the Nanny, pinpoints just how “on point” Fran was with her over the top outfits. I often find myself sitting in front of the TV screen thinking one of two things: “I have that outfit” or “I need that outfit.” If you, too, are channeling your inner girl from Flushing here are some Nanny-approved outfits to hop on your boss’s desk in:
1. Anne Klein New York Polka Dot Silk Georgette Blouse, $136.50, 2. Spring & Clifton Rumour Mini Skirt, $121, 3. Alice + Olivia Nicola Leopard Print Dress, $297, 4. Alice + Olivia Yoko Floral Flutter Sleeve Blouse, $275, 5. Truly Madly Deeply Mini Pencil Skirt, $32, 6. Jonathan Saunders Chilton Embellished Silk Mini Dress, $717.50, 7. bebe Neon Mesh Panel Dress, $129, 8. Theory Elizabeth Short Sleeved Turtleneck Top, $85, 9. Forever 21 Pretty Plaid Skirt, $19.80, 10. Asos Bandeau Leopard Jumpsuit, $53.79, 11. All Saints Mohan Leather Jacket, $395, 12. Report Signature Black Stretch Winston Platform Over the Knee Boots, $252, 13. Bettye Muller Caprice Wedges, $185, 14. Charlotte Olympia Miranda Leopard Platform Wedge, $902, 15. D&G Shocking Rose Black Bow Silk Top, $315, 16. BB Dakota Lance Plaid Skirt, $34, 17. Betsey Johnson Kiss Cotton Jersey Crop Top, $128, 18. French Connection Fast Dazzi Sequin Skirt, $101.99
And that’s how she became the nanny…
Photos via The Nanny Statement
Spring is officially here, so it’s time to overhaul your closets. Time to toss the sweaters and leggings (thank god) and get ready to show some skin. It’s time to stimulate our economy (it’s called being proactive). So what if Obama’s trying to take back everyone’s bonuses? Might as well look cute in the poorhouse.
- Leather jacket- Wear it with jeans and a tank or over a long maxi dress. Works with both and gives you an easy “I didn’t try too hard” look. (Don’t worry, if you’re feeling timid, you don’t have to go with black. Try a shade of grey or tan).
Young Fabulous and Broke Leather Bomber, $448
- Body Con dress- What have you been going to the gym for? Shed off those extra layers and show off your toned bod.
Marciano Jennifer Dress, $128
(Kill two spring birds with one stone with a one shoulder style)
American Apparel Cotton Spandex Jersey Bandeau Pencil Dress, $41
(American Apparel always has these clingy little numbers. Good for a fast, cheap fix). (more…)