You know what can ruin a perfectly good Eggs Benedict? Watching a girl wearing sweaty yoga pants join the table next to you post [insert latest/trendiest workout] class for mimosas and toast, gluten free, of course. I understand the stress of squeezing in a workout pre-weekend gluttony. Getting from point A to point B without upsetting all parties and attempting to look like you didn’t just emerge from Tulum’s sweat lodge. The struggle is real. Whether you’re looking to find love on the tennis court or love in the club, these sporty little dresses are perfect for slipping on post calorie torching.
1. L’Etoile Sport Medea Striped Ribbed Stretch Jersey Dress, 2. ADDISON Terry Drop Waist Tank Dress, 3. byCORPUS Stripe T-shirt Dress, 4. Orlebar Brown Sanremo Cotton Terry Dress, 5. Athleta Dip Dye Middy Maxi, 6. Clu Pleated Sweatshirt Dress, 7. Sparkle and Fade Side Slit Maxi Slip Dress, 8. Athleta Bob and Weave Active Dress, 9. SUNDRY Stripes Sweatshirt Dress, 10. Monreal London Stretch Jersey Mini Dress
September 22nd marked the first day of fall (and also my dad’s and beloved pooch’s birthdays). Now you can officially start complaining about the end of summer… not that you haven’t been doing so since Labor Day and the end of your summer share. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I actually find fall to be a little bit magical. It’s nice to have everyone back in the city. Sidewalks are full of brunchers on the weekends soaking in the last bits of tolerable temperatures. There seems to be a tinge of excitement in the crisp air. For what- I’m not quite sure… can’t possibly be the impending arctic winter. And while I do love a teeny bikini, I’ve always preferred dressing for fall. Layering cashmere, leather, boots, and coats may seem daunting to some though. So, I’ve put together ten fall trends that will help you start your shopping list and soften the shift from summer to fall.
- Sweaters that say something: Forever 21 Boom! Cropped Sweater, ONE by Babe Babe Sweater
- Layer in leather: All Saints Sens Leather Skirt, Helmut Lang Stretch Leather Legging Style Pants
- One, two buckle your boots: Steve Madden Cinch Cutout Ankle Boot, Chloé Susanna Studded Leather Boots
- Mad for plaid: Forever 21 On the Range Plaid Sweatshirt, McQ Plaid Zip Skirt
- All shades of grey: Free People The James Dress, Richard Nicoll Waffle Knit Angora Blend Sweater Dress
- Sneak attack: Adidas by Stella McCartney Discosura Hiker Sneakers, Giuseppe Zanotti London Zip High Sneakers
- Oversized outerwear: Forever 21 Oversized Zip Up Jacket, Rochas Oversized Open Coat
- Go Army green: Sparkle and Fade Camo Sweater, Faith Connexion Camouflage Tapered Pants
- Beanie baby: Urban Outfitters Waffle Knit Beanie, Lanvin Embellished Ribbed Wool and Cashmere Beanie
- Mini me: See by Chloe Rosita Mini Chain Purse, Fendi Be Baguette Mini Shearling Bag
Save me a seat at brunch.
I had to double check that the Super Bowl had not, in fact, already happened. (It will happen on February 3rd- I Googled it). That said, my pun stands. Anyway, in the cold winter months, dressing can become a bit of a bore. How many different ways can we wear jeans? And since some of you can’t get it through your pretty little skulls that leggings are not pants, I have come up with yet another option for comfort without sacrificing style. The maxi dress is often associated with balmy summer nights and backyard barbecues, but I have found the knit long sleeve, slinky maxi dress to be one of my new favorite winter time staples. There are endless ways to style this look be it a fur (faux) vest over top, layered in gauzy scarves, with flat motorcycle boots or sky high ankle booties. The maxi dress is as versatile as it is comfortable.
1. Holy Tee Abbey Lee Mesh and Jersey Maxi Dress, $108, 2. Mason by Michelle Mason Long Sleeve Cutout Maxi, $177.10, 3. Thakoon Addition Carbon Copy Long Dress, $170, 4. Silence & Noise Stella Knit Maxi Dress, $69, 5. Sparkle & Fade Cowl Back Maxi Dress, $59, 6. James Perse Wrap Shoulder Dress, $245, 7. Maison Martin Margiela Knitted Silk Maxi Dress, $398, 8. Pencey Standard Long Layer Dress, $84, 9. Blue Life Pucci Maxi Dress, $165, 10. Sparkle & Fade Scoopback Long Sleeved Maxi Dress, $49
Now play ball, or whatever.
Okay, so for any of you other ladies who are doing the ultimate stall on selecting a Halloween costume, I have some quick, easy, and not so slutty ideas for you. If you’ve opted out of the “costume in a bag” but you don’t want to be a total wet blanket, here are five ideas using the frocks you may already own. I think these are all so brilliant, I may very well wear one of them myself (okay, I’ve already done the mime thing).
And here are last year’s suggestions too (also genius)!
Splendid Stretch Tube Dress, $46, Sharpie Brush Pen Permanent Marker Set, $6.99
Sparkle & Fade Lace Trompe L’oeil Dress, $69, Forever21 Chiffon Rosette Headband, $5.80, SUPRA Society Glitter Panel High-Top Sneaker, $95,
Reverse Cut Out High Low Dress, $79, Melissa and Doug Playtime Produce, $17.99, Adia Kibur Layered Beads Necklace, $31.50
Sparkle & Fade Zip Front Peplum Dress, $54, Oasis Sequin Beret, $23, Adult Insane Clown Posse Makeup Kit, $16.49
Louise Gray Flas Burst Sequin Dress, $150, Patricia Field Unicorn Headband, $26, Makeup Forever Glitter Eyelashes, $16
Seeing as weekends in the fall are meant for meeting a man to keep you warm all winter, you’re going to need a fresh frock to welcome in the “cuffing” season. Sure, we all have the classic LBD, but what about something a little warmer? Something in this season’s most coveted color, perhaps? That’s right, I’m talking about switching your shade like you’re switching from rose to pinot noir. The great thing about fall’s oxblood/burgundy/whatever you’ve decided to call it color is that it’s so very flattering on skin tones from porcelain to caramel to mocha- just like this particular Helmut Lang frock I’ve been lusting after every single time I pass the Intermix on my corner. So, embrace it ladies, these wine hued frocks are sure to get you wined, dined, and warm all winter.
1. Vince V Neck Dress, $285, 2. Diane von Furstenberg Maeryn Dress, $445, 3. Charlie Jade Long Sleeve Tie Neck Dress, $185, 4. Joie Pollini Wrap Dress, $348, 5. Lucca Studded Bodycon Dress, $69, 6. T by Alexander Wang Pleated Neoprene Dress, $325, 7. Sparkle & Fade Mandarin Collar Front Cutout Dress, $69, 8. Forever21 Ruched Wrap Dress, $22.80, 9. Norma Kamali Super High Low Dress, $275, 10. Forever21 Sleeveless Peplum Dress, $22.80