Backpacks aren’t anything new- we brought back the pack both last year (here) and the year before (here). Long gone are the days of bulky canvas Kipling and Jansport and the current iterations aren’t of Clueless microscopic proportions either. These bags are crafted of leathers, skins, and suede and embellished with shiny hardware in gold, silver, and in some instances even rose gold. While many equate backpacks to textbooks and pencil cases, the backpack has evolved well beyond the playground and has become fashion “it” girls’ new “it” bag. Trade in your slouchy tote for fall for a backpack slung over one shoulder or worn traditionally on two shoulders. Tag- you’re it.
1. Alexander Wang Dumbo Textured Leather Backpack, 2. Proenza Schouler Python PS Small Courier Backpack, 3. Opening Ceremony Izzy Backpack, 4. meli melo Mini Backpack, 5. See by Chloé Cherry Backpack, 6. Jerome Dreyfuss Haircalf Florent Backpack, 7. ZAC Zac Posen Eartha Backpack, 8. Deadly Ponies Mr. Chain Mail Backpack, 9. Balenciaga Arena Classic Traveler Backpack, 10. KARA Suede Backpack
Photo by Michael Stiegler, full outfit post here
This Sunday, the Easter Bunny will come to town and bestow upon us lots of calories we probably never needed, but will enjoy every moment intaking them. With him comes Easter bonnets and pretty pastels which also happen to be one of this spring’s biggest trends. So, whether you celebrate Easter or Passover… or you’re just in it for the Cadbury eggs, pastel is a perfect way to usher in this very stubborn spring.
Lulu Frost Gold Plated Swarovski Crystal Necklace, Alexander Wang Antonia Snake Effect Leather Sandals, Marc by Marc Jacobs Katie Bunny Silicone iPhone 5 Cover, See by Chloé Daisy Leather Shoulder Bag
The best part of fall? No, not pumpkin spice lattes (can we cool it with that, by the way?). Buying boots is by far my favorite part of fall and its fashion. The staple of the fall closet is always footwear. No matter what you’ve got on, if you don’t have the right shoes to seal the deal, you’re essentially screwed. Another great thing about closed toe shoes is spending less time and money on pricey pedicures-not that it’s okay to forgo them entirely. Speaking of which…
To make your lives easier– that’s what I’m here for, afterall– I’ve compiled the best boots in every category and how to style them for any occasion. You don’t have to thank me now, but I certainly won’t stop you from sending Céline in gratitude.
- The Wedge Bootie: See by Chloe Suede Wedge Calf Boots, $475, Tabitha Simmons Haley Suede Wedge Ankle Boots, $1,295, IRO Darlon Wedge Boot, $618
- The High Heel Bootie:Saint Laurent Leather Ankle Boots, $950, MICHAEL Michael Kors York Boots, $200, Madison Harding Jackie Bootie, $280
- The Riding Boot: Twelfth St. by Cynthia Vincent Garrett Western Riding Boots, $495, Church’s Martina Two Tone Riding Boots, $1,050, Boutique 9 Randen Tall Boot, $300
- The Combat Boot: Dr. Martens 1460 Boot, $115, Giuseppe Zanotti Blok Combat Boots, $1,450, Belle by Siegerson Morroson Victoria Combat Boots, $450
- The Moto Boot: Frye Veronica Boots, $268, RED Valentino Flower Embellished Booties, $650, Rebels Shoes Travis Moto Boot, $75
- The Over the Knee Boot: Sophia Webster Hallie Nubuck Over the Knee Boot, $895, 3.1 Phillip Lim Leather Over the Knee Boots, $975, Jeffrey Campbell Missionary Over the Knee Boot, $230,
- TheWinter Weather Boot: Isabel Marant Nowles Shearling Boots, $840, Sorel Conquest Carly Boot, $220, Rag & Bone x Hunter Short Boots, $265,
September 22nd marked the first day of fall (and also my dad’s and beloved pooch’s birthdays). Now you can officially start complaining about the end of summer… not that you haven’t been doing so since Labor Day and the end of your summer share. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I actually find fall to be a little bit magical. It’s nice to have everyone back in the city. Sidewalks are full of brunchers on the weekends soaking in the last bits of tolerable temperatures. There seems to be a tinge of excitement in the crisp air. For what- I’m not quite sure… can’t possibly be the impending arctic winter. And while I do love a teeny bikini, I’ve always preferred dressing for fall. Layering cashmere, leather, boots, and coats may seem daunting to some though. So, I’ve put together ten fall trends that will help you start your shopping list and soften the shift from summer to fall.
- Sweaters that say something: Forever 21 Boom! Cropped Sweater, ONE by Babe Babe Sweater
- Layer in leather: All Saints Sens Leather Skirt, Helmut Lang Stretch Leather Legging Style Pants
- One, two buckle your boots: Steve Madden Cinch Cutout Ankle Boot, Chloé Susanna Studded Leather Boots
- Mad for plaid: Forever 21 On the Range Plaid Sweatshirt, McQ Plaid Zip Skirt
- All shades of grey: Free People The James Dress, Richard Nicoll Waffle Knit Angora Blend Sweater Dress
- Sneak attack: Adidas by Stella McCartney Discosura Hiker Sneakers, Giuseppe Zanotti London Zip High Sneakers
- Oversized outerwear: Forever 21 Oversized Zip Up Jacket, Rochas Oversized Open Coat
- Go Army green: Sparkle and Fade Camo Sweater, Faith Connexion Camouflage Tapered Pants
- Beanie baby: Urban Outfitters Waffle Knit Beanie, Lanvin Embellished Ribbed Wool and Cashmere Beanie
- Mini me: See by Chloe Rosita Mini Chain Purse, Fendi Be Baguette Mini Shearling Bag
Save me a seat at brunch.
We’ve already identified oxblood as one of this fall’s standout shades for apparel and accessories, but there’s another hue that’s sure to be a hit this fall and will most likely stay strong straight into the winter. What might that color be? Hunter green, my friends. For quite some time I was a bit disenchanted with this particular shade (with good reason, of course). You see, my mom went through a bit of a “green” period during the 90’s and I would be willing to say about 78% or our home was decorated in dark green. Some might have called it overkill. We’ll just call it dedication. I had the same problem with baby carrots and turkey sandwiches for many years after my dad packed them in our lunches every single day for the majority of grade school.
And just like I now enjoy a great turkey sandwich, my feelings towards forest green have also come around. Fall’s deep shade of green is different than that of emerald green from seasons past. This evergreen is so dark it could appear almost black and it gives a complete look of luxe. Find a way to work it into your wardrobe with a knit maxi dress, chic bag, or soft velvet pants.
T by Alexander Wang Fine Knit Jersey Maxi Dress, $235, See by Chloe Cherry Leather Shoulder Bag, $525, Tibi Chunky Knit Sweater, $285, By Malene Birger Clesenzia Velvet Tapered Pants, $375