Outfits aren’t the only thing we need to learn to transition from day to night. Not only do we need to switch from our sensible shoes into our stilettos and lose the cardigan for happy hour, we gotta transition uur pretty little faces as well. We shouldn’t be wearing the same makeup during the day as we do during our evenings out. Below are my “two faces” of makeup.
Your “day face”, in my opinion, should literally take five minutes. Unless you’re about to go on camera for something, there is no reason to cover up your beautiful face with layers of gunk. Think how long your days can be. Make sure your skin can still breathe and your eye makeup won’t be falling down your face by 6pm making you look like a cheap tranny. The key to this look is to look like you’re hardly wearing any makeup at all. We’re all this gorgeous naturally, right? I mean, I wake up like this!
- Benefit Benetint How many different ways can I tell you I love this stuff? Dab on the cheeks and swipe on the lips for a natural flush.
- Maybelline EyeStudio in Purple Radiance – Granted I don’t love colored eyeshadow, but a smudge (like, as in, I use my fingers to apply) of this across my lids really brightens up my baby blues.
- Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Been using this since high school! One of the best, most natural bronzers I’ve ever tried. Puts the meaning in “tried and true.”
- Remede Translucent UV Coat I told you before about discovering this and I’m still totally stuck on it. Gives great daytime coverage and UV protection.
- Aquaphor (travel size) Can not live a day without this in my bag. It’s great for all kinds of ailments- most importantly dry lips!
- Sephora Super Shimmer Lip Gloss I lose lip gloss every time I buy it. Sephora has great colors and they won’t set you bac $30 each time you lose one inside the depths of your bag.
- Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous This is my “workhorse” mascara. Just like Stephie, I’ve tried a ton and have come back to this several times.
So, when it’s time to go from day to night, you need to amp up the intensity. For evening, I still use everything in my “day” look except for #2, and #6. Then I add some more of my favorites for that extra “oomph.”
- Tarte Eye Couture Day to Night Shadow Tarte consistently makes my favorite eyeshadows. They are so shimmery and saturated.
- Laura Mercier Eyeliner in Black Ebony. My mom taught me to use my eyeshadow as eyeliner when I was younger. I was pretty psyched when I was actually able to buy eyeliner that was meant to be applied with a wet brush.
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Are You Red-dy This is a great shade of red for anyone with similar coloring. I played a little game of drugstore roulette and won with this color!
- Clinique Almost Powder in Neutral – I actually love Trish McEvoy Mineral Powder, but it’s not always easy to find, so Clinique is also a great option for a light powder that covers up shine.
- NARS The Multiple in Orgasm – You know how I feel about this already. Gives such a great shimmer for evening.
Clearly, I’m not a makeup snob. I’ve tried so many different products and I really just like using what works whether it’s $5 or $50.
Being “two faced” has a whole new meaning.