Call me crazy (wouldn’t be the first time), but I don’t think I know one girl on this planet who wouldn’t be totally psyched to receive a little bit of beauty for the holidays. And wouldn’t you know… the cosmetics industry seems to have caught on since they come up with the raddest palettes right around this time of year. I wouldn’t venture to call it a coincidence. And one might think that makeup is a bit of a personal gift, it’s really hard to go wrong with palettes featuring assorted shades that are sure to be flattering on everyone from Snow White to Pocahontas. So, if you’re looking for a gift sure to be a hit, might I suggest makeup?
1. NARS Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself Eyes, $85, 2. Philosophy Ginger Hot Salt Scrub, $25, 3. Urban Decay Naked Basics, $27, 4. Benefit She’s So… Jetset!, $36, 5. Laura Mercier Le Petit Patisserie Travel Quartet, $50, 6. MAC Perfectly Plush Advanced Brush Kit, $49.50, 7. Tarte The Jewelry Box Limited Edition Palette, $45, 8. Lipstick Queen Liptropolis Set, $48, 9. Nails Inc. Bling It On Rocks Kit, $25
Long gone are the days of over tweezed and drawn on eyebrows. The full brow is back and better than ever as seen on the Spring 2012 runways. Everyone from Naeem Khan to Derek Lam channeled their Brooke Shields a la The Blue Lagoon. In seasons past, the bleached brow had made an appearance, but this spring, it’s all about the statement making power brow.
I suffer from having fairly light and fairly thin eyebrows naturally, so I have to fill them in just to make ‘em look normal using Tarte’s EmphasEYES brow pencil in Taupe on a day to day basis. Rosie Huntington Whitely swears by Laura Mercier’s Brow Powder. It’s time to find your power tool for banging brows. The look is full, groomed, and face framing. It is also important to find the right shape for your face as well. I have found that just having a groomed brow makes me immediately appear more polished and adds an extra impact to my eyes.
1. Anastasia Beverly Hill Beauty Express for Brows and Eyes, $39.50, 2. Laura Mercier Brow Powder Duo, $24, 3. Amazing Cosmetics Brow Gel, $14, 4. Tarte EmphasEYES For Brows, $19.50, 5. Too Faced Cosmetics Brow Envy Kit, $35, 6. Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer, $7.74
Ah, the look of love. You can almost pick the women in the midst of amour right out of a crowd thanks to the effervescent glow of endorphins. Their eyes sparkle, their cheeks are flushed, and they just look blissful. But wait… why must we rely on men and love to give us that glorious glow? Oh, right. We don’t. Phew. And it’s a good thing cause banking on a man for our beauty is like trying to pull yourself away from Pinterest. Never gonna happen. From rosy cheeks to shiny lips, here are a few ways to give yourself the look of love.
1. Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette, $50, 2. Sally Hansen Salon Effects in Love Always, $8.99, 3. Stila Love At First Blush Palette, $14, 4. NARS Super Orgasm Blush, $26, 5. Prada Candy Eau de Parfum, $108, 6. Physician’s Formula Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Blush, $11.99, 7. Deborah Lippmann Nail Polish in It’s Raining Men, $16, 8. NARS Nail Polish in Pussy Galore, $16, 9. Laura Mercier Lingerie Eye and Cheek Palette, $60
Are you in love?
I don’t know a girl who doesn’t love receiving something not only beautiful, but also beautifying. While we’ve outgrown the ol’ Bath & Body Works gift sets, it’s still wonderful to give (and receive!) the gift of beauty. I could have listed a hundred products that would make more than stellar gifts, but I have whittled it down to ten as to not overwhelm you. Maybe these gifts didn’t tickle your fancy, but they did get you thinking about buying someone special something from the beauty department. Here are a few tips to keep in mind while shopping:
- Don’t give something offensive like a waxing kit (even if she does have a hairy upper lip).
- Perfume is way too personal (unless recipient has told you EXACTLY which fragrance she’s wishing for).
- When in doubt, go for something with lots of options, like a kit where she can mix and match to make the perfect shade.
1. Bliss Glow Ho Ho Gift Set, $75, 2. Fresh Sake Ritual Bath Set, $95, 3. Laura Mercier Creme Brulee Trio, $60, 4. Philosophy Holiday Bundle Ornament Set, $15, 5. NARS Kudoki Kabuki Lip Set, $125, 6. Urban Decay 24/7 Travel Size Pencil Set, $32, 7. Red Carpet Manicure Starter Kit with Portable Light, $59.99, 8. NARS Kuroko Kabuki Mini Nail Polish Coffret, $35, 9. Benefit I’m Glam Therefore I Am Gift Set, $36, 10. Estee Lauder Good Fortune Compact, $125
Outfits aren’t the only thing we need to learn to transition from day to night. Not only do we need to switch from our sensible shoes into our stilettos and lose the cardigan for happy hour, we gotta transition uur pretty little faces as well. We shouldn’t be wearing the same makeup during the day as we do during our evenings out. Below are my “two faces” of makeup.
Your “day face”, in my opinion, should literally take five minutes. Unless you’re about to go on camera for something, there is no reason to cover up your beautiful face with layers of gunk. Think how long your days can be. Make sure your skin can still breathe and your eye makeup won’t be falling down your face by 6pm making you look like a cheap tranny. The key to this look is to look like you’re hardly wearing any makeup at all. We’re all this gorgeous naturally, right? I mean, I wake up like this!
- Benefit Benetint How many different ways can I tell you I love this stuff? Dab on the cheeks and swipe on the lips for a natural flush.
- Maybelline EyeStudio in Purple Radiance – Granted I don’t love colored eyeshadow, but a smudge (like, as in, I use my fingers to apply) of this across my lids really brightens up my baby blues.
- Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Been using this since high school! One of the best, most natural bronzers I’ve ever tried. Puts the meaning in “tried and true.”
- Remede Translucent UV Coat I told you before about discovering this and I’m still totally stuck on it. Gives great daytime coverage and UV protection.
- Aquaphor (travel size) Can not live a day without this in my bag. It’s great for all kinds of ailments- most importantly dry lips!
- Sephora Super Shimmer Lip Gloss I lose lip gloss every time I buy it. Sephora has great colors and they won’t set you bac $30 each time you lose one inside the depths of your bag.
- Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous This is my “workhorse” mascara. Just like Stephie, I’ve tried a ton and have come back to this several times.
So, when it’s time to go from day to night, you need to amp up the intensity. For evening, I still use everything in my “day” look except for #2, and #6. Then I add some more of my favorites for that extra “oomph.”
- Tarte Eye Couture Day to Night Shadow Tarte consistently makes my favorite eyeshadows. They are so shimmery and saturated.
- Laura Mercier Eyeliner in Black Ebony. My mom taught me to use my eyeshadow as eyeliner when I was younger. I was pretty psyched when I was actually able to buy eyeliner that was meant to be applied with a wet brush.
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in Are You Red-dy This is a great shade of red for anyone with similar coloring. I played a little game of drugstore roulette and won with this color!
- Clinique Almost Powder in Neutral – I actually love Trish McEvoy Mineral Powder, but it’s not always easy to find, so Clinique is also a great option for a light powder that covers up shine.
- NARS The Multiple in Orgasm – You know how I feel about this already. Gives such a great shimmer for evening.
Clearly, I’m not a makeup snob. I’ve tried so many different products and I really just like using what works whether it’s $5 or $50.
Being “two faced” has a whole new meaning.