I think most women who actually take their physical fitness seriously can attest to the fact that one of our biggest eye rolling moments at the gym is upon spotting a perfectly made up, coiffed, push up sports bra clad babe texting in between turning pages of Cosmo on the elliptical. Speaking of which, I always cringe when women’s magazines suggest meeting men at the gym because I promise you the last thing I want is for a juiced up bro to approach me while running interval sprints on the treadmill. That’s a surefire way to get a dumbbell straight to the dome. Besides, I tend to be a bit of a sweaty mess and believe this is why women only gyms were invented. So how does one recover beautifully post workout?
Just like I mentioned about there not being some magic way to acquire abs of steel, there are, however, a few products that can certainly contribute to the cause:
- I love dry brushing before the shower or you could use the Skinesis Bodylift from Sarah Chapman to help with pesky cellulite.
- Tossing your hair up into a high ponytail or messy bun atop your head can actually cause quite a bit of damage as you move. Definitely opt for softer rubber bands sans metal closures to avoid breakage and if you can, wear a braid (French, fishtail, rope- take your pick).
- After your sweat session, you may only have time to rinse and head back to the office or hopefully happy hour. If you’re like me and a full on blow out isn’t even in the realm of possibility, then meet your new best friend, dry shampoo. The trick is finding one that won’t leave you looking like Martha Washington with a powdered wig.
- If you like running outside when humidity is less than that of a tropical rainforest, then sunscreen is a must. For so long, I didn’t bother. Partially because I’d had a few sour experiences of blindness once sweat swept my SPF right into my eyes, but basically out of sheer laziness. Guess who doesn’t want knees that look like a vintage leather handbag?
- The biggest favor you can do for your skin pre-workout is wiping your makeup off. Your skin needs to be able to breath in order for toxins (that bottle of Sauvignon Blanc you shared last night) to be released. Stash makeup wipes in your gym bag for a quick cleanse before you feel the burn.
- I can’t lie. My feet are gnarly from miles logged on the treadmill and on the road. Be sure to take some time to soak those tired toes and give them a little TLC so you won’t be ashamed to bare them in open toe shoes or plop them up on the chaise lounge poolside.
1. Fresh Sugar Deodorant Antiperspirant, 2. Alterna Cleanse Extend Translucent Dry Shampoo, 3. Sephora Collection Tropicolor Ribbon Hair Ties, 4. MED e TATE DERMAdoctor, 5. This Works Perfect Legs Skin Miracle, 6. Samudra Coco Palms Pouch, 7. Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes, 8. Sarah Chapman Skinesis Bodylift, 9. Bodyism’s Clean and Lean Serenity Shake, 10. Margaret Dabbs Hydrating Foot Soak, 11. Hampton Sun SPF 35 Continuous Mist Sunscreen
I recently read a parody about the differences between men and women- one of which was the number of products stowed in our bathroom cabinets. They quipped men used about six and women had probably amassed over two hundred (men could identify only twenty of those items). While, I certainly don’t have that many because I run a tight ship in my medicine cabinet, there’s not much room for anyone else’s shaving cream. Last week was all about beauty products that work their magic overnight, but how about saving room when packing for weekends away? The only thing more terrifying to a man than opening his own medicine cabinet to find the tampons you’ve stashed there is seeing you show up with two bags- one for your clothing and another for the sole purpose of your beauty regime. Rememer, we woke up like this. Save time, money, and space (and your boyfriend’s sanity) by employing products that are multipurpose. Whether it be using conditioner as shaving cream or Aquaphor as both lip and eyelash treatments or the cult classic, NARS multiple for cheeks, lids, and lips, these products are working double (and sometimes triple) time.
1. Aquaphor Healing Ointment, 2. Lorac Double Feature Concealer and Highlighter, 3. Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths Strengthening Conditioner, 4. Colgate Optic White Toothbrush + Whitening Pen, 5. Rosebud Salve in a Tube, 6. Benefit Cosmetics Fine-One-One, 7. Earth Tu Face Skin Face, 8. Josie Maran 100 Percent Pure Argan Oil, 9. NARS The Multiple, 10. Napoleon Perdis Enhancer
It’s officially spring. Fi.nal.ly. It’s time to swap out the wardrobe and the beauty routine for something lighter and brighter. No longer will you need to lubricate yourself with heavy creams and deep sultry scents. Spring is all about being fresh, playful, and pretty. Thankfully, beauty brands love flowers as much as any girl loves to receive them. Whether it be harnessing the superpowers of rose petals or the capturing the sweet scent of jasmine, there’s no end to the way in which one can incorporate flora into her regimen. And and aren’t you just as pretty as a petal?
1. Lavanila Vanilla Lavender Fragrance, 2. Nest Orange Blossom Body Wash, 3. Ciaté Flower Manicure, 4. Philip B. Lavender Hand Wash, 5. REN Moroccan Rose Otto Bath Oil, 6. Sisley Black Rose Cream Mask, 7. L’Occitane Cherry Blossom Shimmering Lotion, 8. Oscar Blandi Jasmine Oil Serum, 9. Korres Showergel in Jasmine, 10. Josie Maran Calming Lavender Water, 11. Dior Créme de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm, 12. Fresh Rose Floral Toner, 13. Kenzo Flower in the Air, 14. LAFCO House & Home Daffodil Bar Soap
image via Nyachii
Alright, so you can’t even begin to stomach strapping on a star studded tank top or holiday color coordinated outfit. That’s fine. Just don’t be a totally Sally Suckpants refusing to play along whatsoever. Incorporate a little bit of your American pride this Fourth of July by wearing the colors of our flag on your face (and nails). Navy liner rimming your lids, cherry red lips, and a slick white manicure will have people believing Lenny Kravitz wrote American Woman for you- and why shouldn’t they?
1. Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in True Red, 2. Ciaté Paint Pot in Mistress, 3. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Red Orange Shellac, 4. Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Scorch, 5. Makeup Forever Glitter Eyeshadow in Iridescent White, 6. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eyeliner in Yeyo, 7. Dior Diorshow Iconic Mascara in Deep Blue, 8. NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Mandchourie Golden Infused Deni/Rich Navy, 9. butter LONDON 3 Free Lacquer in Blagger
You’ve packed your weekender, polished your fingers and toes and gotten that dreaded Brazilian (you have, haven’t you?) Get thyself to a waxer, woman. The next hurdle you’ll face over the holiday weekend is preparing the perfectly equipped beach bag. There’s nothing worse than trotting all the way down to the beach, finding the perfect spot and then realizing you forgot your sunscreen. That’s a valuable fifteen minutes of Vitamin D and boyscouting that you’ll be missing while fetching your forgotten goods. Below I’ve created the First Aid Kit of beach bags so you can spend more time playing beach blanket bingo with that babe on the chaise next to you and less time retrieving your lip balm.
1. Mar Y Sol Caracas Basket Tote, 2. Yves Saint Laurent Oversized Round Sunglasses, 3. Henri Bendel Wet Bikini Bag, 4. Jonathan Adler Stepped Diamonds Earbuds, 5. Miracle Skin Transformer Lip Rewind Advanced Peptide Lip Treatment SPF 20, 6. Murad Waterproof Sunblock SPF 30, 7. Henri Bendel Under the Sun Towel with Strap, 8. Josie Maran Bohemian Waves Argan Hair Mist