What’s easier than having a plaid skirt and button down laid out for your every morning? A smart little dress that requires no mixing or matching because it is an entire outfit in and of itself. Geek out in something plaid or opt for a collar that needs no popping. The hardest thing about getting dressed in the morning will be deciding which shoes to wear.
1. KNITZ by For Love & Lemons Lumberjack Jumper Dress, 2. Joie Raley Plaid Fit & Flare Dress, 3. Jill Jill Stuart Collared Lace Dress, 4. Free People Teen Spirit Mini Dress, 5. Band of Outsiders Sleeveless Shirtdress, 6. Thakoon Addition Mixed Stripe Shirtdress, 7. Cooperative Wednesday Collared Romper, 8. Alexander Wang Paisley Shift Dress, 9. COPE Tie Neck Silky Shirtdress, 10. CeCe by Cynthia Steffe Rumer Lace Shift Dress
You know what’s a great way to beat this miserable heat? Shopping. And wouldn’t you know, it’s that time of year again. Get deep discounts on new arrivals during Nordstrom’s Anniversary sale. We aren’t talking about picked over end of season goods either. Stock up early and shop everything from Joie suede booties to J Brand denim to Hanky Panky thongs until August 4th when regular prices return. So, if shopping is your cardio, consider me your personal trainer.
Although it was fifty degrees over the weekend and snow flurrying today, we really are in the home stretch of winter. Just hang in there, pretty birds, relief is on the way. While we wait for the last frost of the season to cease, let us refresh ourselves on the clothing that is just waiting to make itself quite comfortable in our closets come spring. Since each fashion week presents collections a solid six months in advance of when we can actually get our greedy little hands on it, it’s easy to forget what we need to start scoping for and what to relegate to the back of our wardrobes for the time being. The fashion elite may be a bit clairvoyant perhaps predicting the dreadfully long winter we’ve endured as the spring collections did not shy away from color, bold patterns, and plenty of shiny embellishment. Though black and white were ever present, it’s time to drop the dull all black uniform and have a little bit of fun.
While florals are really nothing new for spring, this season’s are a bit bolder and less feminine incorporating the trend of black and white as well as darker tones as opposed to the predictable pastel colorways. Speaking of which, Easter egg colors abound and are best done head to toe, but if that has you feeling apprehensive of emulating Great Aunt Ida, the presence of a pastel leather jacket or clutch will do the trick.
Along with bold graphics that will have even the biggest globetrotters giddy, art aficionados rejoice. Patterns for spring give a nod to pop art using brights that make them downright framable. Wearable art, if you will.
Embellishment was big and came in the form of fringe, 3D embellishments and gilded golds, bronze, and silver. An alternative to shine in the form of straightforward metallics is presented in the option of iridescence.
And to those who attempted a croptop intervention on me… bad news: the croptop (which will live on through Fall 2014) is stronger than ever for spring. Might I suggest enrolling in a Pilates class, like last week? Though tops are shrinking bottoms get a bit of volume in the form of wide leg trousers and full skirts seen prevalently in the midi length.
Most notably to me was that all of the various trends seem to work together quite seamlessly and in some cases there’s quite a bit of overlap. Full metallic skirts, crop tops with sheer panels, and boldy printed wide leg trousers make hitting a few trends at once a spring breeze.
- Fresh Blooms: Rebecca Taylor Sweet William Dress, Joie Talina B Pants, Elizabeth and James Klaus Floral Print Silk and Mesh Dress
- Go Wide: by Malene Birger Cosyna High Waited Silk-Satin Pants, Diane von Furstenberg Salma Wide Leg Silk Pants, alice + olivia Pleated Eric Pants
- Dirty Pop: Paul Smith Black Label Maxi Skirt, Lisa Perry Patchwork Skirt, M Missoni Neon Crochet Knit Mini Dress
- Heavy Metals: Rachel Zoe Pearl Sequin Fishtail Skirt, DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Metallic Chiffon Wrap Dress, 3.1 Phillip Lim Crossover Biker Skirt
- Peekaboo Panels: Yigal Azrouel Scuba Waterprint Mesh Skirt, Rag & Bone Molly Skirt, Rebecca Minkoff Antoni Silk Top
- Full Circle…Skirts: JOA Striped Skirt, TOME Taffeta Skirt, Tibi Full Pleated Skirt
- Team Spirit: SEA Cotton-Blend Tweed Shorts, Sacai Luck Striped Cotton and Taffeta Dress, Equipment Abbot Silk Bomber Blouson Jacket
- On the Fringe: alice + olivia Caitlin Fringe Maxi Skirt, Haute Hippie Fringe Pencil Skirt, Jason Wu Cropped Fringed Crepe Top
- Buttoned Up: Diane von Furstenberg Trudy Blouse, MiH The Oversize Shirt, Carven Silk Floral Print Collared Cotton Shirt
- Perfect Pastels: Halston Heritage Asymmetric Satin Twill Peplum Dress, J Brand Ready To Wear Durham Oversized Leather Biker Jacket, Lotusgrace Polka Dot Sheath Dress
- Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop Croptops: Tibi Cropped Embellished Cotton Blend Top, Jonathan Simkhai Cropped Intarsia Jersey Top, BCBGMAXAZRIA Kaja Harness Top
- Black (and White) to Basics: A.L.C. Harrison Skirt, Donna Karan Printed Silk Wide Leg Pants, McQ Alexander McQueen Slash Effect Stretch Knit Dress
- Iridescent Does It: Acne Tine Sequined Silk Georgette Shorts, Roksanda Ilincic Oriel Colorblock Wool Crepe Dress, 3.1 Phillip Lim Colorblock Suede A-Line Skirt
- Global Graphics Clover Canyon Diamond Quilt Printed Cropped Track Pants, Diane von Furstenberg Phaedra Jacquard Skirt, Line & Dot Silk Palm Tree Print Dress
Speaking of the 90’s, the one closet staple other than an oversize flannel was the babydoll dress. The bodycon dress’s polar opposite, the babydoll allows for a bit more wiggle room with a silhouette that barely skims the body. This style is especially flattering on boyish shapes because there’s just something strange about big breasts in a babydoll dress. So, whether you’re a darling Donna, cocaine Kelly, or bitchy Brenda, lace up your Dr. Martens and put on your favorite floral babydoll dress.
1. Kimchi Blue Tapestry Trapeze Dress, 2. Forever 21 Flower Power Smock Dress,, 3. Joie Bernadine Dress,, 4. Kimchi Blue Prairie Rose Frock, 5. Lovers + Friends I Heart Babydoll Dress, 6. House of Harlow 1960 Adeline Dress, 7. Forever 21 Grunge Girl Floral Dress, , 8.One & Only x Urban Renewal Collared Babydoll Dress
This time Donna Martin graduates.
You survived the fireworks (I did too- barely). You’re surviving the hangover (hair of the dog). And now summer is in full swing. Continue your holiday weekend party sporting something in the flag color scheme. Let it swang, let it hang.
1. Free People Cutout Bodycon Slip Dress, 2. Splendid Ruched Cotton and Modal Blend Jersey Minidress, 3. Dolce Vita Hanni Sleeveless Dress, 4. Joie Dawna Tank Dress, 5. Forever 21 Off the Shoulder Fit & Flare Dress, 6. BB Dakota Royer Cross Back Dress, 7. Nightcap Clothing Parlor Lace Dress, 8. For Love & Lemons Lulu Americana Dress, 9. The Furies Manchu Tank Dress, 10. Forever 21 Chambray Shirt Dress