Speaking of arctic blasts (from the past) the 22nd Winter Olympics will be kicking off from Sochi, Russia in a mere month. So, how coincidental (or is it?) that skater skirts have made a bigger comeback than Nancy Kerrigan after that whole Tonya Harding incident. Show me a girl who didn’t dream of gliding on ice like Kristi Yamaguchi or long to be a spandex clad Tara Lipinksi and I’ll show you a girl who wasn’t old enough to remember the ’94 Olympics. (Side note: I just did the math on that and it’s frightening). Anyhow, reminiscent of Michelle Kwan and Oksana Baiul, the skater skirt is the perfect skirt to skate right through winter. Worn with slightly less maribou and maybe equal parts sequins and this wardrobe reboot is just begging to be twirled in. Not to mention it would most certainly look sensational with a crop top.
1. Endless Rose Power Pleat Miniskirt, 2. Milly Gaffiti Floral Pouf Skirt, 3. Victoria Beckham Fluted Silk and Wool Mini Skirt, 4. Opening Ceremony Hope Gathered Lurex Skirt, 5. Parker McKenna Printed Flare Skirt, 6. BCBG Lucy Fit & Flare Skirt, 7. 10 Crosby Derek Lam Leather Ruffle Skirt, 8. Josh Goot Flare Mniskirt, 9. PARTYSKIRTS Smaks’ Night Out Skirt, 10. Line & Dot Flared Jacquard Skirt, 11. Rebecca Minkoff Andre Skirt, 12.Rebecca Taylor Leopard Print Skirt, 13. Rebecca Minkoff Andre Skirt, 14. Splendid Layers Flare Mini Skirt, 15. Alice + Olivia Fizer Striped Box Pleat Skirt
Fall is all about leather and fur (and a little bit of lace) and there are more than a few ways to achieve this luxe look. But should you prefer to go faux, there are plenty of options out there that won’t leave you looking like a muppet. Many designers have decided not to even dabble in the realm of authentic animal skins, most notably Stella McCartney. Faux options have come a long way since the inception of pleather and plasticky fake furs and at times are almost indiscernible. Faux and vegan furs and leathers are not only animal friendly, but much more cost efficient than their counterparts- twice the incentive to fake the funk.
1. Stella McCartney Bryce Mohair Faux Fur Jacket, 2. David Lerner Faux Leather Leggings, 3. BCBG Micah Faux Leather Top, 4. Milly Faux Fur Cheetah Skirt, 5. Stella McCartney Faux Leather Platform Ankle Boots, 6. Karl Lagerfeld Omari Faux Fur Vest, 7. Club Monaco Tasha Leggings, 8. Unreal Fur Furry Floss Faux Fur Jacket, 9. Club Monaco Lena Faux Fur Cashmere Gloves, 10. J Brand Carey Coated Skinny Jeans
This is one instance when it’s fine with me to fake it.
Speaking of cutting things up. Another trend for summer that will most likely carry into fall is that of the cut out dress. Instead of the daring deep V or the slit all the way up to… designers have opted for the unexpected flash of flesh. This look is very specific, so let’s not get carried away with too much ventilation- though the impending heatwave may make it tempting. The look is a peek of skin, not “I was accosted by the cousin of Edward Scissorhands on the way to The Darby.” So embrace the trend, but not too tightly.
1. Forever21 Ruched Cutout Dress, $19.80, 2. T by Alexander Wang Cutout Silk Maxi Dress, $350, 3. Kimchi Blue Twill Cutout Bodycon Dress, $59, 4. BCBG Baile Cutout Gown, $328, 5. findersKEEPERS In My Arms Dress, $168, 6. Reverse High/Low Cutout Dress, $79, 7. Forever21 Cutout Sweetheart Tube Dress, $29.80, 8. Susana Monaco Zola Dress, $207, 9. Sandro Reve Printed Stretch Cotton Blend Dress, $320, 10. Rachel Pally Alina Dress, $202
Cut it out.
The maxi dress is nothing new, but that’s okay. It’s still a closet and transitional season must have. A maxi is great for running errands in a simple pair of flat sandals and tote or can be dressed up with heels and sparkly jewels. Maxi dresses are a win for all parties involved. It’s like getting to wear your pajamas all day long and no one can really say anything cause you look so stunning and you never run the risk of exposing your “Britney.” Striped, solid, floral, tribal… you really can’t go wrong. Check out how these chic starlets styled their maxis and re-create the look yourself for that oh-so-effortless maxed out look.
1. Ella Moss Printed Maxi Dress, $188, 2. Ettika Clustered Gold Black Leather Bracelet, $75, 3. bebe Noah Platform Sandals, $84.99
1. Cosabella Anouck Maxi Dress, $200, 2. House of Harlow 1960 Jordana Sunglasses, $125, 3. DKNY Textured Leather Shoulder Bag, $375, 4. Aldo Brendle Simple Flat Sandals, $56.40
1. Ella Moss Stained Glass Maxi Dress, $248, 2. Ray-Ban Large New Wayfarer, $125, 3. Blank NYC Vegan Leather Jacket, $74.99, 4. Mossimo Supply Co. Ona Ballet Flats, $14.99
Three of my favorite looks from this week all have something in common. They are all great transitional outfits. As much as I hate to say it, summer is in its final stretch and fall is fast approaching. During this time of year, it’s always tricky trying to figure out what to put on– or take off. The weather is as temperamental as a woman with PMS and no M&M’s. The only way to get your look right during this time of year is by layering up. From Olivia Wilde’s cozy and casual look to Emma Stone’s red carpet Chanel Couture, these lovely ladies have mastered the art of layering and you can too by following these easy to put together layered looks (if you need a layering refresher course, click here):
1. All Saints Departed Hoodie, $67.50, 2. Mossimo Jersey Knit Maxi Skirt, $17.99, 3. Kashmere Blue Double Floral Print Cashmere Scarf, $138, 4. Forever 21 Cay Eye Sunglasses, $5.80
1. BCBG Emma Button Down Silk Chiffon Blouse, $168, 2. GYPSY 05 Carmen Twist Skirt, $99, 3. MICHAEL by Michael Kors Jenna Wedge Sandals, $145, 4. Staring at Stars Embellished Eternity Scarf, $32, 5. Elliot Lucca Millana Camera Snake Embossed Crossbody Bag, $64.90, 6. Urban Outfitters Tortoise Trim Aviator Sunglasses, $16
1. Matty M Pearl Metallic Crocheted Sequin Top, $43.99, 2. American Apparel Chiffon Full Length Skirt, $46, 3. M. Flynn Chandelier Cluster Earrings, $88, 4. Diane von Furstenberg Harper Evening Flap Shoulder Bag, $450, 5. Stuart Weitzman Nude Patent Daisy Pumps, $140.25
Keep cool. Stay hot.