Perhaps my swimsuit guide was a bit presumptuous as we are a week into spring and only a few days away from April and yet I’m still swaddled in cashmere scarves and slouchy beanies. As a matter of fact, it flurried the other night on my way crosstown. So, if you, like me, jumped the gun and can’t wait to wear your new suit, try using a one piece as a body suit much like the look I’ve created from ModCloth below.
1. Day to Daylight Hat, 2. Esther Williams Beach Blanket Bingo One Piece, 3. Lip Stain in Red Velvet, 4. Blogger Conference Pants, 5. Prism is a Dancer Wedge, 6. Lomography Konstruktor 35mm SLR DIY Camera Kit, 7. Bygone Beaches Bag, 8. Ice Cream or Cola Sunglasses
A way to bring a little edge to any outfit is by adding a bit of leather. If a leather jacket feels too predictable and leather pants just really aren’t going to happen, a leather skirt may be a great way to incorporate this trend. Whether you winterize your look with a cozy sweater and opaque tights or sport a bare leg and sky high heels, be sure to mix in a more modest top. You don’t want to look like a lady who belongs on a corner of Hollywood Boulevard. Check out these three leather looks worn by some fresh faced celebrities:
1. Juicy Couture Candy Pink Cotton Lace Top, $110, 2. Andrew Marc Tristina Leather Skirt, $350, 3. Emitations Flora’s Sterling Silver Heart Charm Bracelet, $75, 4. Report Stamos Patent Pumps, $56.99
1. By Malene Birger Luvina Lace Blouse, $224, 2. Naven Biker Skirt, $154, 3. Urban Outfitters Sheer Tights, $12, 4. White House Black Market Rosette Clutch, $34, 5. TopShop Galleria Patent Mary Janes, $92
1. Qi Cashmere Long Time Ruched Turtleneck, $147, 2. Schumacher Faux Leather Skirt, $319, 3. Tarte LipSurgence in Charmed, $24, 4. Mod Cloth Tights for Every Occasion, $14.99, 5. Frye Harlow Oxford Bootie, $197.95
[Insert whistle noise here].
While summer is now in full swing, there are really only a handful of beach days and summer Fridays left. (Although it was pointed out to me today that summer officially ends on September 22). You’ve probably done most of your summer shopping in advance but, there’s still the possibility of a hot (both literally and figuratively) date or rooftop cocktail party to attend before September rolls around. In the off chance that you’ve exceeded your seasonal budget, I’ve rounded up some summer friendly frocks that are also friendly on the wallet. Now you can enjoy the rest of the warm weather without feeling guilty about going into credit card debt (never in style- ever). Behold: 10 dresses all under $50:
1. ModCloth Saturday Night Dress, $42.99, 2. Forever21 Ditsy Floral Chiffon Dress, $19.80, 3. Bisou Bisou Scoopneck All Over Pleat Dress, $31.99, 4. Matthew Williamson Sleeveless Halter Romper, $27.99, 5. Free People Animal Knit Bodycon Dress, $49.95, 6. Victoria’s Secret Off the Shoulder Print Tee Dress, $29.50, 7. Arden B. Gauze Ruffle Tube Dress, $49, 8. Kimchi Blue Ruffle Sleeve Dress, $49, 9. Guess Lori Dress, $49.95, 10. Forever21 Sweetheart Lace Dress, $22.80
photo via Quizzle
Last week one of my favorite readers wrote in to say that as much as she loved the dresses on WhyDid, they were a bit out of her price range. To that, I promised that this week’s Friday Frocks would be dedicated to her. You don’t have to spend a billion dollars to look like a million bucks. Here are ten dresses certain to have you sparkling and shining at any upcoming holiday party- and here’s the kicker- they’re all under $100!!! Your wallet says, “thank you.”
bebe Strapless Tube Dress, $98
Express Sequin and Chiffon Dress, $98
ModCloth Celebration in Tinsel Town Dress, $89.99
Staring At Stars Drummer Dress, $89
Love Tease Strapless Satin and Lace Mini, $69
INC International Concepts Sequin Tank Dress, $67.99
Arden B. Sequin One Shoulder Dress, $47.20
Rampage Ruched Beaded Mini, $39.99
Forever 21 Lame Jacquard One Shoulder Dress, $22.80
Kouture by Kimora Sleeveless Lace Satin Mini, $19.99
Now you have extra cash to accessorize!
This may be one of my favorite Friday Frocks to date. I have a personal obsession with all things ballet related seeing as I was two pom-poms away from trading in college career for a blistered toed career of ballet (there’s a reason I love Center Stage). Needless to say, I can’t wait to see this movie (I’m aware it’s no Nutcracker). So if you are looking to channel your inner inner prima ballerina, try on these frilly frocks. I don’t recommend losing the 20+ pounds that Mila and Natalie lost for the film, but slipping into something dainty will certainly have you feeling like doing pirouettes in your Loubous.
Vivienne Westwood Gold Label Taffeta and Tulle Gown, $3,017
J. Mendel Embellished Georgette Gown, $1,918
BCBG MAXAZRIA Ruffle Tulle One Shoulder Dress, $398
Sandro Rancon Silk and Tulle Dress, $395
Elizabeth and James Soma Ruched Dress, $267
White House Black Market Grey Tulle Soiree Dress, $188
BCBG MAXAZRIA Tutu Tank Dress, $168
ModCloth 4 Score and 7 Tiers Ago Dress, $53.99
Sound and Matter Sandy Holiday Dress, $25