One of the fastest ways to get dressed and stay on trend this holiday season is in a festive plaid frock. Whether, knit, flannel, or flowing tunic, there are several ways to get yourself checked out in plaid. Try wearing with tights and boots or under a tough leather jacket.
1. Free People Swing Me Baby Tunic, 2. re: named Plaid Peep Dress, 3. Marc by Marc Jacobs Pleated Printed Crepe Mini Dress, 4. MSGM Cable Sleeve Plaid Dress, 5. Isabel Marant Ilaria Oversized Plaid Cotton Flannel Dress, 6.BB Dakota Suzett Dress, 7. Chalk Field Plaid Dress, 8. Equipment Owen After Dark Plaid Dress, 9. Coach Printed Silk Crepe de Chine Mini Dress, 10. Torn by Ronny Kobo Morgan Dress
As seen as one of the trend’s for this winter’s must have coats, plaid is a pattern that hasn’t (and isn’t) going anywhere. Houndstooth, Glenurquhart Check, Windowpane and Tatersall, whatever your check of choice, be certain to include it in your winter wardrobe. One might think I’d be burnt out on plaid after being forced to wear it for a greater portion of my adolescence, but the opposite is true. Perhaps it holds a bit of nostalgia, or maybe it’s just a pattern that really never goes out of style. While it can be worn in the straightforward fashion of a flannel or frock, it also comes in an array of accessories and the truly bold may be able to pull of mixing multiple tartans at one time.
Burberry Shearling Lined Checked Cotton Twill and Rubber Boots, Isabel Marant Matt Plaid Linen and Wool Blend Scarf, Marc by Marc Jacobs Top Schooly Printed Leather Shoulder Bag, Equipment Shane Plaid Intarsia Wool Sweater
Though I rarely sleep with much on once the weather breaks from freezing, I have an overabundance of sleepwear. As a matter of fact, for someone who would rather sleep with her window open for fresh air and sweat than turn on her air conditioner, it seems a bit excessive for the lack of closet and drawer space of New York studio apartments. Despite living in what is essentially a large hotel room, my apartment has become a bit of a hangout, probably due to its convenient location to trouble. Upon entry everyone always comments on the number of rompers and nighties that hang from the doorknobs of my closet… which aren’t there merely for show, but because I’ve got a bit of a textile overpopulation problem. It just so happens that they look nice and add a little bit of color and femininity to my black and white abode. My pajamas are mostly seen by my girlfriends who catch me between showering and dressing for the day, delivery men, and my neighbors across the street who have seen more than their fair share of me. But alas, with summer weekend getaways and shared spaces, it’s probably best to have something to sleep in more modest than your birthday suit and slightly sweeter than your old ratty college t-shirt and pair of boxers that came from who knows where.
1. Only Hearts Venice Cutout Romper, 2. Juicy Couture Print Sleep Essential Romper, 3. Eberjey Bleached Out Slub Jersey Jumpsuit, 4. Cosabella Bella PJ Romper, 5. Donna Karan Sleepwear Cotton Batiste Pajamas Set, 6. Eberjey Hannah Teddy, 7. Skin Lace City Chemise, 8. Equipment Landon Floral Print Washed Silk Pajamas, 9. Wildfox Couture Sleep In Late PJ Set, 10.Splendid Genie Jumpsuit
Although it was fifty degrees over the weekend and snow flurrying today, we really are in the home stretch of winter. Just hang in there, pretty birds, relief is on the way. While we wait for the last frost of the season to cease, let us refresh ourselves on the clothing that is just waiting to make itself quite comfortable in our closets come spring. Since each fashion week presents collections a solid six months in advance of when we can actually get our greedy little hands on it, it’s easy to forget what we need to start scoping for and what to relegate to the back of our wardrobes for the time being. The fashion elite may be a bit clairvoyant perhaps predicting the dreadfully long winter we’ve endured as the spring collections did not shy away from color, bold patterns, and plenty of shiny embellishment. Though black and white were ever present, it’s time to drop the dull all black uniform and have a little bit of fun.
While florals are really nothing new for spring, this season’s are a bit bolder and less feminine incorporating the trend of black and white as well as darker tones as opposed to the predictable pastel colorways. Speaking of which, Easter egg colors abound and are best done head to toe, but if that has you feeling apprehensive of emulating Great Aunt Ida, the presence of a pastel leather jacket or clutch will do the trick.
Along with bold graphics that will have even the biggest globetrotters giddy, art aficionados rejoice. Patterns for spring give a nod to pop art using brights that make them downright framable. Wearable art, if you will.
Embellishment was big and came in the form of fringe, 3D embellishments and gilded golds, bronze, and silver. An alternative to shine in the form of straightforward metallics is presented in the option of iridescence.
And to those who attempted a croptop intervention on me… bad news: the croptop (which will live on through Fall 2014) is stronger than ever for spring. Might I suggest enrolling in a Pilates class, like last week? Though tops are shrinking bottoms get a bit of volume in the form of wide leg trousers and full skirts seen prevalently in the midi length.
Most notably to me was that all of the various trends seem to work together quite seamlessly and in some cases there’s quite a bit of overlap. Full metallic skirts, crop tops with sheer panels, and boldy printed wide leg trousers make hitting a few trends at once a spring breeze.
- Fresh Blooms: Rebecca Taylor Sweet William Dress, Joie Talina B Pants, Elizabeth and James Klaus Floral Print Silk and Mesh Dress
- Go Wide: by Malene Birger Cosyna High Waited Silk-Satin Pants, Diane von Furstenberg Salma Wide Leg Silk Pants, alice + olivia Pleated Eric Pants
- Dirty Pop: Paul Smith Black Label Maxi Skirt, Lisa Perry Patchwork Skirt, M Missoni Neon Crochet Knit Mini Dress
- Heavy Metals: Rachel Zoe Pearl Sequin Fishtail Skirt, DAY Birger et Mikkelsen Metallic Chiffon Wrap Dress, 3.1 Phillip Lim Crossover Biker Skirt
- Peekaboo Panels: Yigal Azrouel Scuba Waterprint Mesh Skirt, Rag & Bone Molly Skirt, Rebecca Minkoff Antoni Silk Top
- Full Circle…Skirts: JOA Striped Skirt, TOME Taffeta Skirt, Tibi Full Pleated Skirt
- Team Spirit: SEA Cotton-Blend Tweed Shorts, Sacai Luck Striped Cotton and Taffeta Dress, Equipment Abbot Silk Bomber Blouson Jacket
- On the Fringe: alice + olivia Caitlin Fringe Maxi Skirt, Haute Hippie Fringe Pencil Skirt, Jason Wu Cropped Fringed Crepe Top
- Buttoned Up: Diane von Furstenberg Trudy Blouse, MiH The Oversize Shirt, Carven Silk Floral Print Collared Cotton Shirt
- Perfect Pastels: Halston Heritage Asymmetric Satin Twill Peplum Dress, J Brand Ready To Wear Durham Oversized Leather Biker Jacket, Lotusgrace Polka Dot Sheath Dress
- Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop Croptops: Tibi Cropped Embellished Cotton Blend Top, Jonathan Simkhai Cropped Intarsia Jersey Top, BCBGMAXAZRIA Kaja Harness Top
- Black (and White) to Basics: A.L.C. Harrison Skirt, Donna Karan Printed Silk Wide Leg Pants, McQ Alexander McQueen Slash Effect Stretch Knit Dress
- Iridescent Does It: Acne Tine Sequined Silk Georgette Shorts, Roksanda Ilincic Oriel Colorblock Wool Crepe Dress, 3.1 Phillip Lim Colorblock Suede A-Line Skirt
- Global Graphics Clover Canyon Diamond Quilt Printed Cropped Track Pants, Diane von Furstenberg Phaedra Jacquard Skirt, Line & Dot Silk Palm Tree Print Dress
It’s easy to get melancholy over the falling leaves and temperatures when autumn rolls around. It’s stayed strangely warm this year, but it’s merely a matter of time before you are going to be swaddled in cashmere and merino. I may be biased having spent a portion of my professional life in knitwear, but there is not much I love more than a giant cozy sweater. With destroyed denim, sleek leather, or simple legwear, knitwear is nothing less than versatile. Embrace the chill and find yourself a cozy sweater to snuggle up in.
Helmut Lang Boucle Cotton Blend Sweater, IRO Piper Knitted Sweater, Equipment Asher Cashmere Sweater, Theory Zambra Chunky Knit Sweater
Bundled up, boo boo.