Once you’ve procured all of this fall’s must have fashion trends, you’re going to need the shoes to accessorize with. One of my greatest struggles in life besides fitted sheets and the mental battle between being rail thin or indulging in gnocchi, is putting together the perfect outfit only to realize I do not have the perfect shoes to complete it. This has led to lots of late arrivals, pissed off friends, and missed appointments. Pretty sure this complaint would fall under the hashtag of “first world problems.” In any case, this fall you are going to want to round out your wardrobe with boyish brogues, combat boots, boots that go beyond the knee, statement booties in addition to basic black, and a pair of sneakers that thank heaven almighty do not include the word “wedge.” Below find my picks for fall’s best footwear.
1. Ash Soviet Lace Up Flat Booties, 2. Church’s Angelina Polished Leather Ankle Boots, 3. Rag & Bone Cozen Boots, 4. Markus Lupfer Embellished Ribbed Knit and Leather Ankle Boots, 5. Maison Martin Margiela Leather Combat Boots
I Kneed You:
1. Stuart Weitzman Fifo Stretch Boots, 2. Chloé Textured Leather Over the Knee Boots, 3. Kurt Geiger London Rowland Over the Knee Boots, 4. Joie Daymar Over the Knee Boots, 5. Sam Edelman Jenkins Over the Knee Boot
Sweet Shoes, Brogue:
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Hacienda Haircalf Oxfords, 2. Matt Bernson Thames Oxfords, 3. Finds +L’F Shoes Gipsy Ilga Gliter Finished Leather Brogues, 4. Schutz Nikola Chain Trim Oxfords, 5. Robert Clergerie Irvina Leather Platform Brogues
Shake Up Your Bootie:
1. Narciso Rodriguez Sarah Leather Suede and Watersnake Ankle Boots, 2. Joie Lina Haircalf Booties, 3. Laurence Dacade Pete Studded Suede Ankle Boots, 4. Sergio Rossi Faux Pearl Embellished Suede Ankle Boots, 5. Club Monaco Autumn Booties
1. Isabel Marant Étoile Bart Leather Sneakers, 2. Superga 2750 Boucle Sneakers, 3. Adidas x Opening Ceremony Stan Smith Finger Print Sneakers, 4. Vans Metallic Leather Sneakers, 5. Saint Laurent Court Classic Leather Sneakers
Many of you have sung summer’s swan song with the commencement of Labor Day, but I would like to take an optimistic moment to point out that the official end of summer isn’t until September 23rd and if this Amazonian jungle like heat is any indication (don’t worry- the worst is coming), we have a few more weeks to revel in the sun. As the city refills with co-eds and those who spent all summer out east and jet setting around the globe, it starts to feel a little bit like a reunion. While I’m several years past returning to the classroom for another semester of mundane lectures and assignments I don’t understand, something about the beginning of September and the onset of Fashion Week festivities feels like the first day of school and trying to find a seat in the cafeteria without spilling your chocolate milk. Fall in New York elicits an excitement that is both magical and anxiety inducing. So, brace yourselves, ladies. Class is in session.
(clockwise): Thakoon Addition Karolina 2 Paneled Snake Effect Leather Brogues, Smythson Superstar Textured Leather Notebook, Illesteva Whitman D-Fram Matte Acetate Glasses, Valentino Embellished Textured Leather Headband
A couple of weekends ago while down in LA we went on a hunt for some of the remaining graffiti covered walls. I don’t mean like your random spraypaint tag. I wanted big colorful murals reminiscent of Paula Abdul’s Opposites Attract (um, hello MC Skat!). Much of Los Angeles’ “donated” artwork has been cleaned up by the city, but there is a little spot in Hollywood that is so boldly decorated, that you really can’t miss it.
For an afternoon adventure, I put on a pair of my (current) favorite skinny cropped 7’s, a sheer T-shirt and a pair of oxfords- which, to me, are the alternative to an ultra classic and somewhat girly ballet flat. I accessorized with my gold go to jewelry and was comfortable all day. Just another example that art is all around us… so long as you’re looking.
1. T by Alexander Wang Pocket T, $75, 2. 7 for All Mankind Skinny Second Skin Leggings with Multi Zippers, $109, 3. Alex and Ani Places We Love NYC Skyline Bangle, $38, 4. Michael Kors Large Gold Runway Watch, $250, 5. Steve Madden H-Troser Oxford, $59.95
It ain’t fiction, just a natural fact.
Pumpkins aren’t the only stars of fall. Many a city girl may venture off in search of an orchard in order to capture herself the first perfect ruby red fruit of the season. For some reason, all the apple picking makes me think of plaid and capes… which then leads me to think about one of my favorite storybook characters, Little Red Riding hood. There’s such a combination of wide eyed naivete and dark mischief to that tale. And I think there lies a little of each in all of us. Fall is the most magical season of the year (and a good reason to live in the Northeast). There’s just something about it that stirs up nostalgia and creates excitement. Yet another one of life’s little contradictions.
Are you afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Cape: Burberry Brit Leather Trimmed Wool Cape, $650
Pants: Etoile Isabel Marant Gary Tartan Wool Cropped Pants, $385
Shoes: Bloch Gwen Studded Leather Brogues, $295