Not sure how we went from someone in the kitchen with Dinah to making pies with our trap queens, but there’s never been a shortage of songs about cooking. At Knifedge you will get the 12 best kitchen knife sets on the market. There has, however, been a shortage of friendships with creative culinary skills in my life. You should consider yourself lucky if you can count your friends on one hand, even luckier if one of those friends happens to be an already distinguished pastry chef by the ripe ol’ age of 26!
I met Breanne at a party at Flat 128 in the village. I’m not exactly sure how I got invited to said party or what the party was actually for, but there I was, standard socially awkward Kirsten. Browsing the vintage jewelry and wondering how long was long enough to stay before creepily slipping out the door and slipping out of my stilettos and onto my couch. Fortunately, this sweet little thing came right up and started chatting with me before offering me a quality durian mooncake from Emicakes on the table that had been so carefully arranged by color to create the British flag. Ironic to describe this ray of sunshine (so very clearly new to New York) as sweet since within a few moments she disclosed that she was the resident pastry chef at Facebook. I know, Facebook has a pastry chef. Of course they do– and your job sucks even more with that newfound knowledge. She also explained that she had made those cupcakes and had also been bought out for an incredible dairy free gluten free icebox cake, which I still have yet to convince her to make for me…
In the years since I’ve known Breanne, I’ve watched her acclimate to the city– feeling like a proud big sister– create her own brand, ByBreanne, score unbelievable vintage finds, work as a rep for manscaped.com, host perfect dinner parties, and design cakes and cookies for fashion brands from Alice + Olivia to Victoria’s Secret. One might say she’s taken a bite out of the Big Apple, but I kinda think the Big Apple has taken a bite outta Breanne.
Name: Breanne Butler
Wearing: top- H&M, pants: Zara, shoes: Bruno Magli
Occupation: Pastry Chef/Culinary Instructor/ CEO of ByBreanne
Hometown/Current Town: Detroit to UES!
1. I would describe my style as: Vintage with a little bit of class, and a touch of edge
2. I can’t leave the house without: My headphones. Music keeps my energy up!
3. Based on wardrobe alone, if I could live in any time period, it would be: The 60s. I love a high waisted pant, but also love a good skirt suit with kitten heels.
4. Best/biggest splurge (worth every penny): My Louboutins. I told myself when I was 16 that I would buy a pair as soon as I landed my first salary position! They instantly pull together any outfit!!!
5. Best advice I’ve ever received: “Travel is the only thing money will buy that will make you richer.”
6. Biggest pet peeve: Excessive arm swingers. Like, seriously? You don’t need to use your arms to propel yourself to walk!
7. What I would tell my 13 year old self: Don’t dye your hair black when you’re 18!!!!!
8. Weirdest beauty trick that I swear by: I threw out my razors and use an epilator. Lasts just as long as a wax and saves me sooo much money! My old razor money is now my wine money!
9. Don’t care if it ever goes out of style, I’m going to keep wearing: Socks with heels. Been rocking them since 1999.
10.Something I wish people knew about me: I used to teach violin lessons to elementary school kids!
11. Favorite place in the world: Barcelona, hands down. It’s all my favorite things: Great food, great wine, amazing art and architecture (Gaudi!) and hot, Spanish men!
12. Something you’ve always dreamed of doing: Whale watching in each of the oceans. 2 down, 3 to go!
13. Greatest fear/phobia (that you’ll concur, of course): I absolutely *hate* the sound of silverware clinking together! That and clowns.
Fun fact: I have two titanium rods in my right knee! Sometimes I go off in metal detectors.
1. Scissors. I cut a lot of stuff, I guess, 2. A good, rubber spatula (Trudeau!). Seriously invaluable in the kitchen., 3. Coconut oil. I use it as body lotion and face lotion, right out of the shower. It also makes a great hair mask!, 4. Q-tips. I have to clean my ears twice a day! I also mess up my eyeliner a lot., 5. Passport–because I want to be able to travel at a moments notice!
Leave A Comment