During the bitter winter months, it’s hard to imagine wanting to pucker up when your lips feel more like cracked sidewalks than soft, sumptuous pillows. Fortunately, Dr. Kenet has some tips as to how to keep your lips kissably soft even on the coldest days.
It’s hard to look happy when you’re lips look ragged. Winter bears down on lips—low humidity, indoor heat, windy days, icy rain and snow. Of course, we know that lip balm helps, but it’s important to know the details to keep your lips looking great.
- Avoid lip care products that contain phenol, menthol or salicylic acid. Although that pleasant minty blast may seem refreshing and tingly, you’re putting your lips at risk for further peeling. Removing these layers of skin leaves your lips more susceptible to the environmental factors that cause chapping.
For example: Carmex or Rosebud Balm are not recommended.
Here are some further lip tips:
- No licking. Either it’s a habit or you may think you’re doing your lips a favor. In either case, it’s a mistake.
- Eat right -plenty of good fats (fresh salmon, krill supplements, even a bit of grass-fed organic butter) to keep your body and skin in top shape against the elements.
- Avoid matte lipstick and go for something moisturizing. A new product, Burt’s Bees Lip Crayon is a nice easy moisturizing lipstick that won’t dry lips out. Revlon Moondrops Lip Conditioner is a throwback, but it has lasted through the years as a favorite because it’s inexpensive and has all the right ingredients. Extravagance: Baum De Rose By Terry for lips gives a slight tint and tons of moisturizing protection. Go Basic: Aquaphor Lip Repair + Protect, Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- After your shower, gently pat dry and get an emollient on your lips.
- If your lips are already chapped, avoid sipping hot drinks for a few days.
- For extreme cases, apply 1% hydrocortisone before bedtime.
1. Clé de Peau Beauté Lip Contour Treatment, $50, 2. AERIN Rose Lip Conditioner, $28, 3. By Terry Rose Balm, $60, 4. Eos Lip Balm Coconut Milk, $3.49, 5. Revlon Moon Drops Lip Conditioner, $8.99, 6. Aquaphor Lip Repair, $4.29, 7. Sugar Advanced Therapy Lip Treatment, $25, 8. Burt’s Bee Lip Crayon, $8.99, 9. Tony Moly Bbo Bbo Lip Balm in Honey, $9, 10. TokyoMilk Dark Femme Fatale Collection Lip Elixirs in Salted Caramel, $7