Never would I have imagined that I’d be a “commuter” at any given point in my life. I remember scoffing at the folks who took the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) into work everyday in New York. The only thing I’d ever used the LIRR for was to attend a baseball game (I think?) or to escape an especially creepy Hamptons House. So, to be one of the “commuters” now is a bit of an adjustment for me, but as I’ve mentioned… my life is a whole lot different than it was a year ago. I chose a backyard and awesome house over the glitz and convenience of a city. Besides… there is only one real city in the U.S.
While working from home does have its perks (Golden Girls marathons, dog on lap, wine for lunch), it had the following effects on me:
- My brain was starting to atrophy from lack of stimulation.
- I had nothing to complain about on “the list.”
- I had not bothered to straighten my hair or apply makeup for over a month.
- My nickname became “Rapunzel.”
- I was like an anxious puppy when my fiance returned home and our sleep schedules were no longer in sync.
That is why I took an incredible job opportunity when it presented itself to me. That and mama likes nice things. So, yes, this is what has been taking my precious time away from you. I spend my mornings and evenings on the Caltrain. While this does give me lots of time to write and just be quiet, it also gives me lots of people watching. People are weird. I’ve seen people straighten their hair, clip their fingernails, and take their dogs into the restrooms on the train. Why don’t I just drive you ask? Because I lived in New York for the last five years. I don’t like to drive.
In Northern California, it feels like it is perpetually spring. Not the sunny warm bird chirping can’t wait to put on these sandals spring. I’m talking about the phew the snow just melted but there’s still always a chill in the air spring. Therefore, even when it’s sunny, it’s still always a little bit cold. Layering is a necessary skill for survival here and a transitional wardrobe is a must. Quite honestly, all of this seems unfair to me. My mom has better weather in West Virginia right now… I want my money back.
1. Rick Owens Lilies Asymmetric Jacket, $705, 2. T by Alexander Wang Jersey Pocket Tee, $76, 3. Etoile Isabel Marant Hight Waisted Denim Mini Skirt, $255, 4. Love Quotes Hand Knotted Fringe Scarf, $88, 5. Banana Republic Colorblock Market Tote, $120, 6. Loeffler Randall Matilde Flat Boots, $695